Lilypie

Friday, May 30, 2008

Getting Out Of Being Domestically Handicapped

Lately I am feeling like Sissy Song. Those of you who are familiar with "The Teenage Textbook" and "The Teenage Workbook" will know who I am referring to. And my best friend is of course, Mui Ee (not literally because that is not her name). Anyway I am feeling like Sissy Song because I have been calling her more often than before to ask her to guide me in certain household chores.

I know how to do the basic housework, but at times, I need some guidance in case I screw up. She was the one who first taught me how to iron, how to operate the washing machine (that was many years back when we were still studying), and how to scrub the tiles of the bathroom. Now I am still calling her on the proper procedure to ensure the floors are spic and span with no trace of dust.

Yes, I admit I am rather domestically handicapped. It is just like Sissy Song calling Lee Mui Ee on how to boil water and how to cook an egg (I have never done that though, as in call to ask about this, because I know how to boil water and cook an egg pretty well), and Mui Ee will patiently guide through the steps with Sissy. But in real life, we bear absolutely no resemblance to the characters, be it in looks or personalities!

But I am learning. Ten years back (or a little more than that), I was not even able to fold clothes, or do the laundry, or make my bed, or sweep the floor. Moving to the university hostel did me some good, somewhat. I had to sweep the floor on my own, do my own laundry (although sometimes I still accumulate the laundry and bring them home to wash), make my own bed, and do my own cooking and cleaning.

I am not exactly a neat freak or cleanliness freak, but then, if you stay in a room for like half a year or so, it is your own responsibility to keep it neat and tidy. So if I cannot even clean up my own room, then how am I going to keep a house and home neat and tidy, warm and loving in the future?

Through the years, I started learning more things, like how to hand wash clothes, ironing, mopping and scrubbing the floors, cleaning the windows, cooking (which I really enjoy, almost as much as baking!) and keeping the place spic and span. But I also realise one thing, those women who work and survive without a maid are really great! I already find it quite a struggle having to work and doing housework at the same time!

But when things have to be done, no matter what one still has to do it. One has to make time for it. Just like last night, when I reached home after the show, I had to mop the floor and clean the bathrooms, before I could shower and sleep. Yes, I had to mop the floor and clean the bathrooms past midnight. Which crazy person would do that at that hour? I could have just done it this morning, but I was not that confident I could wake up early enough, so I thought it would be better to just get it over and done with, otherwise if I drag it on, it would never get done.

So I cleaned the upper level of the house late in the night. It did not take me that long though, only about fifteen minutes or so. And I felt more comfortable after that, because the floors were no longer dusty or sticky! I think I really have to start training myself to do more housework from now on. It really is a good feeling to be able to keep your house clean!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...