Lilypie

Monday, May 19, 2008

A Time For Natural Disasters

The folks are back! And they brought me holy water from the House of Mary at Epheseus, the place in Turkey where apparently three Popes had gone for pilgrimage. What an honour! This is water that is not to be drunk unless in an absolute emergency and I am at my wit's end, as it is supposed to be water that heals the sick. Having said that, I would like to express my intense gratitude and appreciation to all those who have dropped me messages, notes, cheers and encouragement last week when I was fighting the battle. Very belated, but thank you very much!

This period seems to be one for natural disasters. Just when the Myanmar situation has not been cleared, the ground split open in Sichuan. I have stopped keeping track of the number of casualties and stopped looking at the pictures in the newspapers. I will just get more depressed if I see anymore pictures of people being dug up, heavily injured, and number of deaths and missing. Short of praying as hard and as much as I can, there is not much else I can do, besides donating to some mercy relief. If I have the proper connections I may want to go on-site itself, but a pity I am but a normal person, not some kind of big shot.

Which makes me think : the Myanmar situation occurred before the Sichaun quake, both have casualties, yet why do more people willing to give massively to China and not to Myanmar? Is it because many of our ancestors came from there, thus many of us feel more affinity with China? But when a disaster occurs, help is needed, no matter how many casualties there are, is it not? Why favour one over another?

I am not saying that nobody's giving to Myanmar, but as far as I know from the people I know, they rather help China than Myanmar. Yes, I gave to both. It is nothing to speak of, but I just want to make things clear before I get misunderstood again as always. I find that sometimes when I do not say things just because I find there is of no need to say anything, people start to misunderstand my intentions and actions and label me as all kinds of things or jump to their own conclusions without knowing the full background.

Anyway, I was contemplating why those I know prefer to just give to China instead. Most came up with the reason that they do not trust the Myanmar government, and that if they give to Myanmar, they are worried the government will take the money for their own purposes and not truly helping the disaster victims. Hmmmm... interesting analogy. Now, what makes anyone think it is any more transparent in China? How would anyone know their money and supplies will really reach the victims?

Fine, I am being rather cynical, but I just like to make a point that if one wants to give, do it generously and not keep worrying and considering where the money and supplies will be going to. If there is going to be so much consideration and worry, then just keep your belongings and not give any away. On our part we have done a good act. What happens on that end is not within our control. As long as we have done a good act, that is all that matters.

Meanwhile, I shall continue my prayers for the victims, the dead, the lost and the missing. I wish their ordeals will end soon on a positive note.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...