Lilypie

Sunday, October 23, 2005

A (Belated) Birthday Celebration

I was just wondering about map changes in the world yesterday when I received a world map by the National Geographic Society. It is a very big map, and one side is the political world map, stating out every continent, country, island, state and major cities, and the other side is the physical world map stating just the continents and countries, with contours of highlands and lowlands. Luckily I have not lost my map-reading skills from 'O' Level Geography.

I had a fruitful day with an old friend, who brought me out for a belated birthday treat. We watched two movies - April Snow and The 40 Year-Old Virgin (wonder if anyone ever notice the slight grammatical error with the title), walked around Suntec City, Millenia Walk, the newly refurbished (and very confusing) Marina Square and the Esplanade, had dinner at Carl's Jr and ice-cream at Anderson's of Denmark.

"April Snow" is slow, as someone told me. But it is modelled after the Chinese show "In The Mood For Love", starring Tony Leung (the one in "Infernal Affairs") and Maggie Cheung. The storyline and concept is about the same. I admit it is not that fantastic a movie, but the saving grace is that I get to see BJY topless! And his charming smile, with a set of perfect white teeth. I wonder which dentist he goes to?

The 40 Year-Old Virgin is funnier, with lots of sexual innuendos. But the message of the show is pretty good. The main character was remarking that it is no big deal being a virgin, why is everyone just dwelling on sex and just that? He said that it is worth the wait especially after he met the lady whom he really fell for.

I totally agree. What is it about sex? And what is the big deal being a virgin, even for guys? Is there an unspoken or unwritten rule stating that people must lose their virginities at a certain age? I believe in abstinence and making the first time special, especially with someone I really love and have vowed to spend my life with. Anyway, for a more detailed review of the show, check out K's entry.

We went down to Millenia Walk after that to collect some dance brochures at Jitterbugs. The dance school has a very big studio. There were people having lessons, and I saw about fourty couples dancing inside, with space for more. The school itself looks professional and cosy. Just downstairs was the Kawai Music School together with the Robert Piano Company, the main agent for Steinway & Sons pianos. My dream - a Steinway & Sons grand piano, gracing the living room of my place. I never had a Steinway and Sons piano, my piano is at least twenty years old already and have never changed another one.

Then we went to Carl's Jr at Marina Square for dinner. The burgers are huge! I thought Burger King's burgers are huge enough (at least very huge for me considering I can never finish a Burger King burger), but Carl's Jr's burgers are even more filling. I ate as much as I could handle, but after three-quarters of the way, I gave up and my friend had to finish the rest of the burger for me. At least the drinks are large-sized, but the lemon tea tastes like lemon water with just a tinge of tea. Give me KFC's lemon tea any time!

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Its worth the wait if there is a guarantee that there is something in the end of all that waiting.

Some people aren't so lucky. (One of my family is like that.)

I have not seen the movie, but I saw the trailer. Most guys do not get to meet and interact with as many 'gorgeous' gals as that guy in the movie did. (Which is why there was a big protest from the 'real' 40YOV's when the movie came out.)

http://datelinehollywood.com/archives/2005/08/15/real-40-year-old-virgins-say-40-year-old-virgin-movie-make-them-uncomfortable/

shakespeareheroine said...

Of course it's just a movie, things do not happen so smoothly in real life. Thanks for the link anyway!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...