Lilypie

Friday, October 21, 2005

Taking Charge Of My Life

So now I am officially another year older. Coincidentally I was invited to a buffet by our opera director as a welcome gathering for our new chorus mistress. She happens to be Ms Jennifer Tham, the choral conductor for the Singapore Youth Choir, and she told me to join her choir next year. Wow.... quite an honour.

My friend is so sweet! She made me a special "cake" consisting of eclairs, cupcake, and fruit at the side, with a candle in the middle of the cupcake. Most special and widest variety "cake" I have ever received.

After the buffet and feedback session where our director and us discussed on the things we could do to improve the chorus, some of us went to Hotel Inter-Continental for drinks over jazz music. The hotel has a pretty cosy lunch, with real good ambience and soothing music.

Sometimes an occasion like this makes you reflect. As one gets older, one starts to reflect on things that are truly important and let go of things that are not worth it. For instance, my youngest brother actually gave me $50 from his own savings as a gift to me, with no strings attached. That is indeed a surprise for someone so calculative as him. Seems like miracles still happen.

Some of my readers have greeted me (you know who you are, thanks so much!), and some of my friends are actually sweet enough to remember. My ex-boyfriend greeted me twice. Why was I then feeling a little upset? Perhaps the one person I like to hear from, the one greeting that would have meant so much to me, did not utter a single word or a single greeting. And months back, I started planning his birthday celebration months in advance, was so worried that things might not turn out well, and was so happy that everything turned out smoothly, and he was rather appreciative with the little celebration I had and the gift I got for him.

But I had a very happy day. Worth every second I spent today. I had a good celebration with my friends, and I made a wish and blew out a candle for the third time! Thus the important things in my life now are my family, my wonderful friends, my job which I am really starting to love even more, and my passion for the arts. I am not going to be bothered with people who do not give a hoot about me anymore. I have finally realised that he is indeed not worth my time (no matter how little spark of hope I still harbour), and I have to make a stronger resolve to not be affected by his aloofness and distance anymore, and totally set myself free from everything.

Now that I am older and hopefully wiser, I have to start taking charge of my life. My life now will revolve around my family, friends, work and activities. I have to start living each second to the fullest, be proactive and do whatever I like, fight for whatever cause I believe in, and stop hoping for the impossible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...