Lilypie

Friday, October 7, 2005

Of Flat-Hunting And Moving Out

I think I do not seem to be fated to move out. I have been flat-hunting for quite some time now, but everytime I find a perfect one, ie not too expensive and generally near central area, female flatmates (not that I would mind male flatmates as well), the priority goes to foreigners. The other flats I saw were either too expensive or too far away from my family and work place.

A few years back, I almost moved in with my ex as there is an extra room at his place, but my mum thought I was cohabiting and refused to let me go. I kept telling her that I would be a tenant, not cohabiting with him, but she just refused to believe me. And everytime I brought up the subject of moving out, she said I could only move out until after I get married. What contradiction! Who was the one who always said I am old enough to take care of myself, so I need a place of my own and cannot live off her forever? And when I finally decide to move out she wants to disallow.

The times when I wanted to apply for a flat, the timing is just wrong. When my second ex and I had that unofficial engagement, he went so far as to ask if I would be willing to buy a flat of our own. Just at that moment, there were new flats being built behind the condominium opposite his place. So I thought that would be just perfect, as we could get priority and a big rebate since the place is so near his parents' place. As you can see, the plan never did take root.

My third ex and I were contemplating getting a place of our own earlier this year. He said that his entire area is going to be en-bloc soon, so new flats would be coming up opposite his block, and asked if we should go and apply once the flats are underway. That would be another great idea since it is so near his area, so we would also be given priority and a big rebate. Unfortunately these plans never took root too.

Recently, there are new flats being built just behind the MRT station about five minutes' walk from my place. That will be such a perfect area - so near my parents' place, lots of good food around and directly facing the train station and the interchange. If I can get a unit there, I will again get priority and a big rebate as it is just a stone's throw from my parents' place, and it is so convenient in terms of food and travelling. Alas, the flats are built too soon! I am not eligible to apply for any as I am still underaged where singles applying for flats are concerned, and I do not have any partner to apply with, since there must be intention of marriage before a couple can even get a flat. And the flats will go very fast since it is in such a conducive area!

Meanwhile I am stuck home, not that I am complaining much since I love my room (despite all the clutter), although I like the freedom of having my own place, away from my parents. So unless I can find another perfect place or my mum agrees to let me move out, otherwise I do not foresee myself going anywhere for the next few years at least.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...