Lilypie

Thursday, October 6, 2005

Dilemma....

So the agent of yesterday's firm called me today and said the firm is willing to increase my pay by another hundred. I called the ST's agent and told him the situation, and emphasised that although I have another job offer, I am still more interested in the ST job. He called me and said the Legal Counsel is quite busy this week and will only make the final decision next week, although they are still keen on hiring me. But I have to decide whether to take up the Corporate Executive job by tomorrow. The agent kept telling me not to hold on, said that it is a waste giving up this job just because the in-house job pays me better. It is not due to the better pay; rather it is because I am more interested in the in-house job!

Now the dilemma is, if I accept the job, and ST really hires me next week, then I will have to turn down the job I accepted, will that not be a bad reflection on me? But if I turn down the job offer and if ST does not hire me, then will I not be out of a job again? Although I like the ST job better, but will it be wiser to just accept this job offer just in case I cannot get the one I like? And am I actually sabotaging my own chances at getting the ST job by even calling and telling the company's agent my situation in the first place?

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Well, seeing that both companies are kind of more on the accepting rather than the rejecting side, you should weigh your options carefully. The "you have to take this offer by tomorrow" is such a cliche sales bait. So what if you don't? That company will hire someone else? Then they will end up with 'second best' employee since they have deemed you to be the best among their current prospects. (Else they would have hired someone else wad...)

My agents were all from the same agency, and they work as a team, so there was no bickering.

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X : I took your advise and now the agent agreed (reluctantly) to wait till Monday for my reply.

Ole Wolvie : You are lucky to just able to find a good agency. I went to several agencies, but none is as aggressive as this one.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...