Lilypie

Friday, October 14, 2005

A Movie Buff's Ramblings

So I am officially starting work on Monday. Kudos to Legallabs Recruitment for landing me this job! This is another recruitment agency that I am really impressed with as the agent is really professional and helpful. Before I went for the interview, the agent called and advised me on what to say and how to behave. Then he followed up even when I got the job by advising me how to create a good impression for the HR Manager. Today he reminded me what to bring and how to behave on my first day at work. Wow, I really feel so well taken care of!

I was supposed to meet a friend in the afternoon but he did not confirm with me, so I spent the day watching two movies back to back - Deuce Bigalow : European Gigalow and Everlasting Regret. It has been so long since I can actually watch movies back to back. The feeling is really great although this is the first time I am doing this by myself and it is still better to do this with someone.

The movie theatre was playing the sound track from "Corpse Bride". The piano track is really soothing yet with a certain Gothic feel to it which befits the movie very well. Danny Elfman (Chicago, Big Fish, Spiderman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the upcoming Charlotte's Web) is a fast-rising legend, fast following the likes of John Williams (Star Wars, Superman, E.T., Indiana Jones, Harry Potter and the upcoming Memoirs of a Geisha), John Barry (James Bond, Dances With Wolves, Madagascar), James Horner (Apollo 13, Braveheart, Titanic) and Alan Silverstri (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump, Polar Express).

It is the time of the year which all the nice shows are coming up. Next on my list is April Snow (BYJ!!!!, what else??), Flight Plan (which I will be watching with K on Saturday; Jodie Foster's shows are always very intense!), The Legend of Zorro, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (about time he graduates anyway; besides the fourth book far exceeds the first three, so anticipating what the movie will be like), The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Oliver Twist, the long-awaited for Chronicles of Narnia, Pride and Prejudice, King Kong, The New World, Memoirs of a Geisha and Charlotte's Web! Wow, that is a hefty long list!

The best thing was that I got to watch the trailers of most of these shows, now counting down to the days I can finally get to watch! Although once I start working, I have to see how to find time to watch movies again, especially with all the good shows coming up!

7 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous_X said...

Earlier comment was deleted due to irrelevancy. (Just requested you to share the advices about the job interview process - your 1st paragraph)

shakespeareheroine said...

Ohhh... actually it's nothing much also, just the usual advices - don't be late, be presentable looking, smile and give a firm handshake, talk about why you left the previous company without putting anyone down and how you think you can contribute to the company.

Ole' Wolvie said...

Charlotte's web he?

Now that was my literature book in Secondary school...

Memories~

Mysterious Mel said...

Please don't waste your time and money on April Snow. Its a really bad snow. I watched it with my girlfriends yesterday and all of us were bored to tears by it. The movie was so ssllllooooooowwwwww, and the plot is paper-thin. Trust me, get the VCD instead.

shakespeareheroine said...

Ole Wolvie : Yes, Charlotte's Web showing next year.

You're so lucky to have it as your Lit text. I love the book, cried after reading it, especially when the Spider died and her babies flew off one after another.

Mysterious Mel : Really? Hmmmm... but I'm watching it more for BYJ. Anyway, thanks for your advice, shall get the DVD instead.

K said...

How can u compare Danny Elfman to John Williams???!?!? John Williams is in an entire class of his own! He has so many soundtracks that are memorable and ICONIC ... stuff that's ingrained into even casual movie-goers. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find that he's obtained more accolades than any soundtrack composer around ... by a LARGE margin ...
Think abt it, how can u NOT have heard the themes for:
Star Wars (and even The Imperial March!)
Superman
Jaws
ET
Indiana Jones
And to think that all these movies are at LEAST a decade old ... THAT's ICONIC.
Then note that he hasn't stopped and has gone on to consistently and continually craft Oscar-winning and memorable soundtracks ...

As for Elfman, he ain't new. Neither is he fast-rising. He's been ard quite some time and his output has been at about the same level for quite some time (and I'm talking decades here). Not saying he's no good, but am telling u he's not new. And if u wanna quote his more iconic themes, u shld be mentioning Edwards Scissorhands and Batman. Those are the classic theme's he's better known for. Btw, "fast-rising" legend is an oxymoron ... legends aren't fast-rising ... they stand the test of time (which by necessity, means a significant amt of time has lapsed).

Just cuz you've only recently started to notice him, does NOT make him new ... merely new to u ... Really shldn't bandy terms like "legend" around so casually.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...