Lilypie

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Be Careful What You Wish For....

I met my friend K for dinner today. I wanted to treat him for the few favours he rendered me, so we ate at Kenny Roger's at Suntec. He was having a feast of roast chicken whereas I was eating the side dishes since I still had not much appetite for proper food.

He brought up something about being careful on what you wish for. I find it really true. How often have we wished for something only to find it is not what we really wanted? Or perhaps we did not wish hard enough? Or specific enough?

For instance someone wished to score well for a certain subject, but maybe in the end he only did well for this subject and not others. Of course there could be many other factors, like how well he studied for the other subjects, how familiar he was with the content, and how he tackled the examination questions. What I mean is that your wish may come true - only to be not a perfect one.

Like after my first relationship, I wished for a guy who would not compare me to his mum all the time, and I got one who was not really filial or respectful and would not go for any family gatherings nor outings with his parents. This is a bit too much. So after this relationship, I wished for someone who shows respect to his parents, and I got a mummy's boy. From one extreme to the other.

I wished for a guy who could fulfil my criterias, and I found the person, the only one so far who can fulfil all my criterias - only to find out he is not interested in me. Perhaps I should state my wish more specifically, ie for someone who can fulfil my criterias but committed to me at the same time. Wonder if that will ever come true?

Then I wished for a guy who is older as I thought older guys would be more sensible. My wish came true - I got to know two guys in their thirties, but they are both pricks! I really should be more specific in what I wish for - older guys who are nice and decent, not older guys who turn out to be irritants.

Just like in the past I wished for my guy to be muscular with six-packs, so he could at least build up his confidence. And in the end I lost him for the same reason. I wished for someone who would be open-minded, then I got one who was so liberal that he does not believe in religion or abstinence and has no qualms about cohabitation.

I wished for someone who is religious, and I got someone so pious that he thought himself as God's angel sent down to change errant and sinful people like me, and preached the Ten Commandments to me everyday.

I told my friend just now that if I am to choose again, I will still wish for someone like my second guy, but more into me, and without all the tantrums, frivolity, disrespectfulness, heartlessness, unfaithfulness, calculativeness and chauvinism. He was the one who had treated me the best of all my guys, and the one that shared most of my tastes and ideals. If only he had been really committed, I could have been the happiest and luckiest girl alive, as he could have been even better than my best friend's ex-boyfriend. But if I wish for this, I wonder if there will be other disappointing aspects which I cannot tolerate?

I guess it is true after all. One really must be careful what one wishes for. So I guess I have to be very specific about what I like to have, then maybe my wishes can finally come true completely.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Reminds me of Bedazzled...

(I too said 'be careful of what you wish for')

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, I know you said this also. And Bedazzled is something like this - where he wished for something but in the end it was not what he wanted.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...