Lilypie

Monday, October 10, 2005

Who Moved My Cheese?

Have any of you read this motivational book? I have been greatly inspired. I watched the animated version first, which is a summary of the book, but the book is more comprehensive in terms of inspirational messages.

The main characters are two little men (let us call them A and B) and two mice. They lived at the edge of a big maze. Everyday the four of them would set out into the maze to find some cheese to eat. They found lots of cheese at Maze F and all four started eating the cheese. This routine continued day after day.

However, due to all the eating, the cheese got lesser and lesser. When there was only a quarter of the original amount of cheese left, the mice noticed the changes and decided to go to another maze to look for more cheese.

One day the inevitable happened. There were no more cheese left in Maze F. The two little men were shocked as they never thought the cheese would be gone. Mr B was very angry and kept shouting out who moved his cheese. Day after day they went back to the same maze, hoping for the cheese to be back, but still there was no cheese.

My A then suggested going to another maze to find more cheese but Mr B refused. He said he did not want other cheese but his own and still kept asking who moved his cheese. Mr A could not convince his mate so went off sadly on his own to look for more cheese.

First he did up a plan, then analysed from different points if the plan(s) was feasible. He took a proactive approach to find other mazes which might have cheese. Each time he came to an empty maze he just moved on without looking back.

Finally his efforts were rewarded. He arrived at Maze M and saw plenty of cheese, even more than was in Maze F. He took a peek and saw the two mice happily eating away. The mice saw him and waved him in. Mr A was so happy to be able to find cheese at last and he hoped Mr B would come to his senses and find new cheese as well.

The moral of the story (at least what I think the book is trying to bring across) is that things do not remain constant. When changes happen, we should adapt to them instead of whining about them but not taking any action, as sometimes changes may be for the better. Changes are always inevitable so we should all prepare for whatever things that come our way and move on accordingly.

Just like when I lost my job, I tried looking for other jobs and now I landed my dream job - yes, I got the ST job! If I just sat around and did not do anything about it, the opportunity could have just slipped through my fingers. When I fell out of love, I moved on after the initial crying and painful stage and now I am keeping a lookout for other potentials by making more friends.

The point is when things happen even if it is not according to plan, accept it and do something about it instead of sitting around waiting for miracles to happen. I have taken many risks in my life in order to adapt to certain changes and some of them had paid off. I just hope that my life can pick up from hereon and my luck can change for the better.

5 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

I tried looking for other jobs and now I landed my dream job - yes, I got the ST job!

Congratz! :)

addy said...

hey congrats on getting the ST job..hope you finally found a place to settle down in properly! :) and yes..changes happen everyday..if one just sits around and cry about it, the loser in the end is always him/herself..that's why it's always best to keep one's view open and always be optimistic about things..the ones left behind to pick up the crumbs are usually the pessimists just like that Mr B you depicted..

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X & Addy : Thanks! I hope I can settle in the job too.

Ole' Wolvie said...

(Sceptical me says)

Provided the mice did not die from hunger while finding another maze with cheese, that's fine and dandy.

Also it is assumed that every maze is accessible, and does have enough cheese.

(Optimistic me says)

Having said that though...
Trying is better than lamenting. So, kudos to Mouse A. (I went all the way to Japan to find my cheese, and I know that not every mouse has the kind of reserve I had for such a long journey.)

shakespeareheroine said...

I guess it all depends on what type of cheese others are looking for. I believe I have finally found part of my cheese, now I just hope I can find the other pieces to make it all complete.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...