Lilypie

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Fashion Disasters

I found someone to teach me Bahasa Indonesia already. I am learning not for work, but for leisure. It is no harm learning another language anyway, and if my dad needs my help next time, I can try to help him out as well. And if anyone mistakes me for an Indonesian again, I can then speak the language too. I will be learning with one of my Indonesian friends (although he has been here for more than ten years, so did say he actually prefers speaking English now), but since I am giving him free piano lessons in return, he agreed to help me out.

Sentosa just got me hooked to this Sudoku game. I never have a brain for numbers in the first place, and the game is interesting, addictive, but very very confusing! Definitely not a good game for people Mathematically-challenged like myself. :-( I am still trying to figure out the proper technique of arranging all the numbers so that each individual number does not overlap, and there is no repetition. Any of you able to figure out the proper way to solve this, I will greatly appreciate if you can let me know. *very sweet smile*

There is this URBAN paper that comes as a supplement to the Straits Times every Thursday. This paper is exclusively on fashion, beauty and all the hip and upcoming things that is happening. A few months back there were tips from air-stewardesses on how to achieve the flawless look. This issue of URBAN is on the hottest look this Fall/Winter season, and the best places to indulge in to pamper your nails.

Apparently the "in" look for the season is long flowing tresses, in other words, slick straight hair that falls past the shoulders, like mine! Curls and perms are out of season already. And denim shorts and long flowy skirts are "in", just like the natural makeup look. It sounds as if the article is describing me! That is how I wear my hair and makeup, and I have several long flowy skirts as well. To think that I am never a fashion icon in the first place, now the new looks of the season is a look which I have always been wearing!

Although some people I have seen go a bit too far in trying to keep up with the times. Mini skirts are still in, but fashion is something so subjective. And a look that goes with someone may not necessarily go with another. Just like a young girl will definitely have a different fashion style than her mother. Do not expect a young girl to wear things like cheongsams or velvet gowns, and do not expect the girl's mother to wear frilly mini skirts and tube tops.

Of course, being "fashionable" also depends on one's body shape. If you are naturally bigger and have flabby arms, please do not wear a tube top, especially a white one! You will end up looking like a marshmallow, or worse, a snowman. And if you have elephant thighs, please do not wear shorts or a mini skirt! If you are flabby around the middle, then please do not wear anything midriff showing! People do not like to look at all the fats poking out everywhere.

This applies to guys too. If you are rounder, then please do not wear a tight singlet or tank top, or fishnet top. Sleeveless tops only work well with muscular guys who have evidently been working out, not for guys who are too skinny or too big. This also applies to tight-fitting shirts. Somehow tight-fitting shirts on bigger-sized guys just do not paint a pretty picture.

However, there are some women who are either too thick-skinned or just refuse to believe they are of a certain age. I saw a middle-aged lady today, big-sized with cellulite and broad shoulders, and can you believe what she was wearing?! Denim shorts that showed off her flabby thighs, and a bra with cartoon characters under a black, fishnet halter top, with her midriff showing. I was just too stunned for words. Talk about a fashion disaster. I do not even dare to wear mini-skirts or shorts nowadays, until I get my legs back in shape.

One is always entitled to follow fashion and dress however he or she likes to dress. But this really depends on your body shape. Just because this thing looks nice on the model (they are models, so definitely already have great figures, of course just about anything will look good on them!) does not mean it will automatically look nice on you. A real good dresser will be able to dress fashionably, stylishly, and yet drawing attention to their assets at the same time covering all their flaws. I am also still trying to reach that stage.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Wow.. music for language... Good for you.

As for fashion, I personally feel that most of it is either a big waste of time (fashion shows where only 1% of the world could actually afford the price), or a big waste of money (the industry trying - successfully - to get us to part with our cash.)

shakespeareheroine said...

Typical guy's mentality. Girls would disagree, not that I am disagreeing, cos what you said is true indeed.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...