Lilypie

Sunday, October 2, 2005

In Search Of The Right One

I was talking to a friend earlier on who needed a listening ear and some advice on what to do. She was about to get married but now seemed to have cold feet. She said it is scary thinking of spending the rest of her life with someone else, and now she is not even sure if he is the right guy for her. After seven years together and now she feels this way.

What is funny is that considering my history, I wonder why people like to come to me for relationship problems. If I really can solve it, I will not be in this state in the first place already. I will always try my best to help out a friend, but on the other hand, if I do put all in practice, then why do my relationships keep failing?

My friend said her boyfriend is very nice to her, always concerned about how she feels, does everything for her, so there is no justifiable reason why she wants to call off her wedding. But the problem is that they are okay, as in just okay, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. It is as if the spark has gone. On the other hand, she is rather impressed with another guy whom she just met, but that guy is a total self-centred prick who only cares about himself.

Uh oh, dangerous situation here! I asked her to list the reasons why they got together in the first place. So she said that he is loving, caring, understanding, supportive, and generally willing to do things for her. But because of that she found him a bit too submissive and boring. My friend said she wanted someone who can challenge her and debate on issues and things. Why does that sound familar? It was what my best friend told me when she wanted to dump that sweet guy!

So I asked her why is she not satisfied? There are so many girls out there dying to have guys like that and she wants to give it all up. I recounted to her my best friend's experiences and my own experiences. In the end, I said it is better to be with someone who is willing to do more for you than for you to do more for the person.

Girls normally put their all into a relationship, and do so much for the guy, but from what I have learnt, guys who expect the girls to do more for them are those that are still not that serious about having a partner and settling down. On the contrary, guys who are willing to do so much more for a girl are those that are really into the girl and really want to be with her. I told her it is better to be stuck to a guy whom she deems as too "well-behaved" or "boring" yet can give her lifelong happiness, rather than a guy whom she thinks is very "exciting" but will not care about her.

Then she asked me in that case why do I not accept that guy who was trying to come after me? So I said that that guy is a prick, as firstly, he does not even have the basic courtesy to respect a lady. When a lady says to leave her alone, he jolly well leaves her alone. And that does not give him the right to tell his friends that he is attached to her. Secondly, he does not tell a girl what to do in order to make her cater according to his schedule. If he is a good enough guy who really cares for me, I will not have hesitated accepting him already.

But my friend brought up a very good point. How do you know the person is right for you? There is simply no right answer to that. Sometimes someone whom you think may be right for you may turn out otherwise. But I think the fundamental question will be can you foresee happiness with the person? Can the person make you happy for life? Can you foresee making each other's lives very special?

I used to think that once I find a boyfriend, he would be for life. It took so long for me to realise that a mere boyfriend does not necessarily equate to a husband. A good boyfriend also does not make a good husband. Sometimes in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, there may be fun, romance, and things to do together, but once in a marriage, it is more than just romance. It is responsibility, commitment, compromising, and sometimes you may not be able to always do things together. It is quite true what people said - guys generally mature later than girls, so a girl of 30 may want to settle down and looking around for husband material, but a guy of 30 may still want to have fun and not willing to commit that big step, and his girlfriends may still come and go with no strings attached.

At least after all my breakups, I have narrowed down my criterias and know what type of guy I like now. So I will still keep a positive look around to find someone really willing to commit to me and do so much more for me so I will not need to suffer under unworthy guys or cry over another guy again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hi my view in this BGR thing, is that there is no right one....before and after marriage, and even after child birth, things may change....that why there is a song that goes "LOve change to Hate".

Humans are so unpredictable and sinful in nature, so whenever humans changed for good or bad, we need to realised the complexity of human behaviours and changes are inevitable.

So, life is short, just do the things you like to do, with the people you love before it is too late......rgds

Live, Laugh & Love your life while you are still alive....ya

Anonymous_X said...

How do you know the person is right for you?

Well in my case, I know that the person is right after I lose her.

Ironic, pathetic...it hurts like hell.

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X : I know what you mean. You are not the only one to have felt like that. In fact, most people I know start to treasure the partner only after they lost them. It is ironic indeed, but I guess that is just human nature - take the person for granted when he / she is around, and only starts to feel the pain after he / she is gone.

Ole' Wolvie said...

So, I guess I must start being more of an arrogant, self centered, boorish alpha male!

Pour me tea!

(Which I may be able to keep up for the whole of 5 seconds)

shakespeareheroine said...

Ols Wolvie : *lol* Dun bother, I believe the people who know you like you for just the way you are!

Ole' Wolvie said...

I don't think I ever had a gal do anything for me in Singapore. Although there was one in Japan who brought soon-to-be-expired food items from the convenience store she worked at for us to munch on during her English conversation lesson. (They tasted good, and I have an Iron stomach, so no problems at all.)

The only gals who ask me out are usually after me to join their MLM, and they'll drop casually: "Oh, I am doing this business with my boyfriend."

Shows how well liked I am...

shakespeareheroine said...

Hmmm... then perhaps you have not met the right one then. Have patience! Someone will come along sooner or later.

Ole' Wolvie said...

Deja Vu... o.O

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...