Lilypie

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Such A Meanie...

I just saw my Google Ads coming up with Chocolate ads. Hmmmm.... what a great thing to happen to me! One of the ads stated a Chocolate Connoisseur Club where there are many different varieties of chocolate - pure, milk, dark, plain, with nuts - for sample. Why is there no Chocolate Connoisseur Club here?

I know what my ex-boyfriend will probably say, "There can never be a Chocolate Connoisseur Club because there will probably be only one member, and it will have to close down overnight as that lone member will finish up all the samples in record time." Yes, I am that addicted - and loving it! Which reminds me, I have a very strong craving right now for Kit Kat.....

My new office is like a maze. Or perhaps I still have not found the proper short cut yet. The security is very tight indeed. For a visitor, even mobile phones are not allowed in as they are worried people can just take pictures or recordings with camera phones. And there are certain rooms which even the employees are not allowed to go in, unless they are authorised to.

Not only that, the documents I had been working on today were amended and reprinted, and I had to send the original ones for shredding! I could not even use them as rough paper! What a waste of paper! My boss also told me that whatever case I was working on, I had to keep them under lock and key. I could not even leave any files or documents on my desk just in case others walk by and glance at the documents. The information is that classified. Just as well, at least now I have a locked drawer so my stationery can stop disappearing.

Two things happened today that was totally unexpected. The first was that I received a birthday message from my second ex. It was a surprise as he had never sent me any birthday messages ever since we broke up, although I still do send him greetings on his birthday (but always through my best friend). However, my birthday is not for another few more days. Thus I do not know whether to be delighted that he actually cared enough to send me a greeting, or disappointed that he can actually forget when the actual day is.

The second totally unexpected thing was I met someone whom I never thought I would ever meet again in the staff canteen at lunch today. This someone made my life miserable for about a year, made me feel so hurt and painful that I used to cry myself to sleep every night, made me cry over him for a few years, and made me unable to forget how deeply he hurt me.

This someone got a scholarship to Massachusetts Institute of Technology and came back with a Masters in Engineering two years back. And this someone happened to be working in my company, not my company per se, but one of the other subsidiaries under the big umbrella, and pops by my office building rather often.

It was strange he still recognised me though. I thought I would be the last person he would ever recognise, considering that he never ever paid any attention to me in the first place. He was just as surprised (not half as surprised as me) that I am working there. He spotted me first. He said I looked the same. Now, I wonder if that is a compliment or an insult? I still look seventeen or I still look like my old geeky self?

Anyway we sat together (or rather, he sat with me without asking me) and as usual, he was doing all the talking. He said he got married last year but divorced this year. He said something about local girls being too outspoken and not willing to listen to their husbands. Somehow I think if he is just as demanding, of course no girl in her right mind can ever stand him! I as much as said that local girls will still be submissive, but it also depends how unreasonable the husbands' demands are.

He said he thought his ex-wife was for him as she is pious and really leads a good Christian life, thus he thought they have the same values and ideals in life. They dated for a year before getting married. I have no comments whether that is too fast since I know couples who got married just three months after getting together (and no, it is not a shotgun situation), and are still together after four years of marriage. But I feel one should not just look at religion alone. There are so many other factors to consider whether the person is really right for you. And each should communicate what their expectations of a married life is like before plunging into such a big step.

He said he thought she would be a good Christian wife, but it turned out she was not willing to have children so fast or stay home and take care of kids, or stay in with his parents, kept insisting on applying their own place and move out. Well.... he has not changed after all. A decade of "growing up" and he is still the same. Sometimes I wonder if some people do actually grow up at all?

So finally I told him that I am sorry to hear about his plight, but he needs to change his attitude before he can even find a girl like that. I said girls in this era do not like to be dictated. If she is to stay home and have children or serve the in-laws, it will be because she wants to do it, not because her husband or anyone else impose it on her. So either he finds someone who is willing to do all that, or else he has to let his attitude down a little.

And he was blatantly surprised that I can actually talk to him like this. He said I have changed as I never used to be so outspoken. I said I have always been like this, he just never bothered to really notice me or listen to me. So he asked how I am getting along, and I said much better than before, ever since he got out of my life, since I did not have to put up with someone putting me down all the time. I do not know why I said that in the first place, perhaps I was just in the mood to put someone down. :-p

In the end it was just a casual lunch. We did not exchange numbers nor emails, and he did not wish me an advanced happy birthday (I dare say he probably does not even remember). But he did ask if he can ever have the chance to date me again, and I gave a downright NO! I as much as told him I would never ever dream of dating him again even if he is the last man and I am the last woman on Earth and we need each other to procreate to ensure the survival of mankind, still no.

I really hate myself sometimes for being so downright mean to him. Shall I have behaved in a better way? What happened to my promise of paying things forward? But I do not know why I just cannot be civil to him. Really hope I do not bump into him again.

5 comments:

sen said...

well.. that man do never grow up.. so i think you are right in saying what you have thought =)... Sometimes some people just need a knock in the head to really wake up =), especially your first ex =)

shakespeareheroine said...

Well, true what you said, but still, was I being too mean?

Anonymous_X said...

No, you are not mean at all. If that's what you strongly believe, you should be proud of being able to firmly tell him that.

Ole' Wolvie said...

Considering the things that other gals whom I've never hurt/dissapoint, etc. etc. do to me, I'd say you're still doing OK.

Although if you're going by a forgiving philosophy, then maybe you could have put it in a softer way.

Hey, he's got it coming anyway, and still too dense to notice it too. (Maybe he did not even notice you're being mean...)

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X & Ole Wolvie : Right, thanks.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...