Lilypie

Monday, June 13, 2005

A Pet By Any Other Name .... (In Memorium)

I stopped by a pet shop to buy dog food and a new collar after mass yesterday. I saw 2 very cute Shih Tzus belonging to the owner of the shop, as well as a hyper Jack Russell and a black Scottish Terrier belonging to the business partner. I always like going to pet shops. I can source out a variety of things for my dog (which my mum remarked that it's getting to be a real spoilt pampered pooch), but most importantly, I can get to see and play with all the cute dogs in the shops.

As you can probably guess, I am an animal-lover. I am a life member of the SPCA. Dogs are my favourite animals. During a trip down to the SPCA earlier this year, I witnessed how owners abandoned their pets. Some of the dogs and cats showed signs of abuse and neglect and I really felt for them. I went away feeling so upset. I came to the conclusion that much as I love to volunteer at the SPCA regularly, I cannot do it as it will take a toil on my mental state if I go away crying all the time.

I have wanted a dog ever since I was very young. But we only got our first dog after my 'O' Levels as my parents wanted to be sure I can be old enough to take care of a big responsibility. She was given to us by a former colleague of my mother's. It was a cross Japanese Spitz. She was white with a curly tail and a bit of black spots around her body. We called her Happy. She was with us for 2 years plus until one day, she went out for one of her regular exercises and got knocked down outside my house. When that happened, I cried for a whole day. We had her cremated and I kept her collar and leash for old times' sake.

The second dog we had was given to us by my friend. He was in the army then and found a litter of puppies in camp. As they were going to be picked up by the SPCA, he decided to "kidnap" one and knowing how I would drool over the puppy, he gave her to me. My mum, for all her originality, decided to call her "Happy" again despite our protests. She only lasted 3 months. She was sleeping in the driveway when my parents' car ran over it.

Our third dog stumbled into our neighbourhood so I decided to adopt it. He was a mongrel called "Nicky". However, he grew too big and fierce. My parents would not mind a dog as long as it is not too hairy, big-sized or fierce. I was made to give him away to the SPCA. I refused and argued with them countless times, until in the end, my dad called the SPCA to cart him away when I was out one day. I never spoke to them for a few days after that.

Our fourth dog stayed with us the longest. One of my neighbours had a litter of puppies. We decided to adopt one. He was cross-breed but since his parents were small-sized and short, my parents assumed that it would not grow too big and adopted him. We called him "Lucky". He was smart and lively, always awaiting me at the gate whenever I came home for me to pat him. He was with us for almost five years until he went out for his regular exercise last October and never did come back. We had no idea what happened to him. My maid and I searched everywhere for 3 days but to no avail. I can only pray that he had found a good family to stay with.

My current dog was bought from a pet shop in late January. He was a cross between a Shih Tzu and a Pomeranian. He is small-sized and with strangely not much hair, considering his parents' breeds. He is very smart even as a puppy. He is my most beloved Cookie! My mum always joked that I treat him like my own child. After losing so many dogs, I really became very protective of him as I do not want anything to happen to another dog of mine.

A pet is really a lifetime of responsibility. What the SPCA said is true – get a pet only if you are ready and willing to care for it for life. It is very traumatic for the innocent pet if you are going to abuse it as it only wants to please, and will have no idea what it had done to deserve ill-treatment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...