Lilypie

Monday, June 6, 2005

Farewell P and CJ Wee

Former Chief Justice Wee passed away yesterday. In just a matter of weeks, 2 great Wees that helped to shape Singapore (Former President Wee Kim Wee) passed away. Besides the fact that these 2 great people were highly respected and did a lot for public service, I had my own special affinity with them.

I had the fortune to meet FP Wee when I attended a 5-day ASEAN Law Conference in 1997 organised by the NUS Law Faculty. He was a guest which we invited for tea for one of the sessions. At that point in time, he was still in the pink of health. He was really a bubbly and friendly man. He was talking to us delegates on the things he helped do for the Public Service. It was really a fun chatting session. Young me was so excited at the prospect of actually talking to a former president and discussing about how Public Service could be changed. For just that 15 minutes in my life, I felt so grown-up and professional.

I did not have the chance to actually meet former CJ Wee, but he was a senior partner in the current firm I am working in before he became the CJ. He was still highly respected by the employees, as his picture in a Judge's robes with the long wig is still hanging in the research library. From my limited knowledge of law and the background, it seems that CJ Wee was a very highly impartial and respected judge. During the time when the Singapore courts still had to appeal to the Privy Council, CJ Wee expressed his judgment as the final verdict. It is with regret that I never did have the chance to meet him.

Fare thee well, great sirs. You will be fondly missed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...