Lilypie

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

What Is Love ... That Lovers Cannot See ... The Pretty Follies That Themselves Commit

Love can be the most complicating thing in the world. I cannot believe sometimes that something that is supposed to be so beautiful can be so complex. People can fall in love over the simplest reasons, but can also break up over the same reasons.

When my best friend broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years because she fell for another guy, I was really angry with her. In my opinion, she gave up someone who is so sweet and nice to her for someone totally unworthy. She had to adjust from a life of being catered to in everything to one of catering for everything. At that point in time, I could not understand her decision. But I could relate to it as I know that once you fall in love, you are blinded to everything else.

Cupid strikes in very strange and unexpected ways. Sometimes you may be in a relationship, but suddenly you find yourself being attracted to someone else. Does it mean you are being unfaithful? Or does it mean your love is just not strong enough? How exactly do you view love as being "strong enough" anyway?

I guess an ultimate test of whether your love is strong enough is whether you are willing to change for a person. Love can make a rich girl willing to be a maid for the guy she loves, or it can make a simple girl dress up more for the guy she loves. Love can make a guy change his habits for the girl he loves. Mostly, love can give people (especially non-writers) the inspiration to write beautiful letters and poems. Love can also make someone unromantic into the most romantic person in the world.

Another ultimate test is whether you are willing to stick with each other through thick and thin. This is something like those marriage vows where the priest ask the couple, "Are you willing to stick with each other, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, forever and ever, Amen?" It is so easy to just say "I Do", but one wonders how many people actually go through with their vows. If your partner is struck by a major sickness, will you run away or will you try your best to save him/her? One classic example is how Pierre Png donated part of his liver just to save Andrea D'Cruz. That is how deep his love is for her.

Now, if I am in his shoes, what would I have done? Will I love my partner enough to donate any part of my organs to save his life? It is really hard to say since I have never been in this type of situation. But for me to do that, he must be someone whom I really really love deeply, someone who is worthy of my love, time and sacrifice in the first place.

So what exactly is the concept of Love? Love equates to commitment, to selflessness, to self-sacrificing, to showing respect to each other, to giving companionship and support and each other space to grow. It is not selfish, not based on sex or passion, and it is not cruel. That, I feel, should be what relationships are based on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...