Lilypie

Friday, June 10, 2005

Bang On A Can

I met up with fellow blogger Sonic and his ex-roommate (pleased to meet you by the way and thanks for supporting my blog! Hope you are not too turned off by me!) :-) last night for dinner and a concert. Now, in case any of you think I am going places (meeting up with fellow bloggers), let me clarify that firstly, I have already known him for quite a while now since our "Madame Butterfly" rehearsals in April, and secondly, his was the blog that inspired me to create my own. I am sad to say that I have not reached up to his level, ie meeting up with veteran bloggers and having readers from all over the world. Perhaps in due time I hope.

"Bang On a Can" consists of 6 members – a clarinettist, percussionist, electric guitarist, pianist, bassist and cellist. Imagine a fusion of classical and pop instruments making beautiful music together. Their music has very catchy rhythms and all the musicians really synchronized well together. The instruments just flowed together beautifully. They played a total of 6 songs and I loved the last 2 pieces – "Spells" and "Workers Union". The first song they played was entitled "Cheating, Lying, Stealing" which Sonic remarked was suitable for the soundtrack of "Closer". Upon reflecting, I agree, since the theme of the song matched exactly the theme of the movie.

"Spells" reminded me of Arthur Miller's "The Crucible". How appropriate, isn't it? The dark theme of the Salem witch trials of the 17th century. "Workers Union" was a very intense piece. There was a part where the pianist was banging on the piano with her elbows instead of running her fingers over it. I salute her technique and skill! There was a part where the song made me feel like going on strike!

Thanks a lot, friend, for recommending this show (You know who you are!). I really enjoyed myself. It is a very good alternative musical experience which I will never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

Many of us readers will likely be curious to learn more about this part: Hope you are not too turned off by me!

IMO, it just sounds so unnecessarily self-criticizing.

shakespeareheroine said...

Let's just say I'm normally quite reserved when meeting new people. As a result, sometimes I may not be as polite or friendly as I should be. Thus, I'm not too sure what others' 1st impressions of me may be, but hopefully it won't be that bad.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...