Lilypie

Friday, June 10, 2005

Why Shakespeare Heroine?

I have received feedback that I am probably the only one in the world who goes by the moniker "Shakespeare Heroine". Personally, I do not quite believe that, since I am just one in a whole lot of billions, but it will be nice actually if it is really true.

Hence the question : Why "Shakespeare Heroine"? Very simple – I love Shakespeare. I have read the abridged version of Shakespeare's plays in primary school, and when I entered secondary school, I got to do the unabridged versions for the first time. I remember doing "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in Secondary 1, followed by "Romeo and Juliet" (my favourite of all times) in Secondary 2, then "The Merchant of Venice" as my 'O' Level text. When I entered Junior College, I used "Hamlet" as my 'A' level text, and "Julius Caesar" for my 'S' paper before I had to give it up. When I entered NIE, I did "MacBeth". I always get so immersed in all his tragedies and comedies. His plays are so intense that I always imagine myself in the shoes of the heroines.

When I was growing up, I used to have idealistic views of how love should be like. Shakespeare's works epitomizes love, drama and excitement, things I liked to have in my life. I would love to have the strong will of Juliet, who should just elope with Romeo, and not commit suicide. I would love to have the wit and brains of Portia (from "Merchant of Venice"), who married Bassanio and single-handedly saved his friend Antonio from the clutches of the wicked Jew Shylock. I would like to be Desdemona, who, despite all Othello's doubts about her, remained truly faithful and endured all his tantrums. I would like the strength of Ophelia, who loved Hamlet enough to let him go. But most of all, I would love to be Celia (Hee hee!) (from "As You Like It"), who escaped with her cousin Rosalind to the forest and endured hardship just to save her father from the evil duke.

Thus the name "Shakespeare Heroine". It does not refer to any one character in particular, but all of Shakespeare's great female characters. It can easily refer to Juliet, or Ophelia, or Helena, or even Cleopatra and Lady MacBeth. I do believe I am the only one of my friends who have read all of Shakespeare's original plays and sonnets and have all his books in my collection. Any one else with an entire collection? Perhaps we can trade!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...