Lilypie

Friday, June 17, 2005

Resistentialism - Redux

I have always assumed there is some voodoo going on in my office. Today's series of unfortunate events confirmed my suspicions.

When I reached the office this morning, the entire place was pitch black. I started to wonder if the Big Chief gave everyone a day off without me knowing. But when I heard laughter and chattering from my colleagues, I was relieved that my fears were unfounded.

Just when I thought it was a normal power failure, the lights started flickering. Then the lights for half the section came on, but the other half was still off. To make things worse, the computer was only half functioning, ie the network drivers, internet and email were down, even for the half section with the lights. And the fax, printers and photocopiers could not print a single thing as well. Just when I needed to rush out a letter for a client who was coming in at 10:00am.

When the lights came back on, all of us heaved a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, that was short-lived. The lights went off as suddenly as they came back on. A few minutes later, the lights came back on again – this time for the other half of the section that had the blackout in the first place.

When all the lights finally came back on and the fax machine started working, the computers chose to be down. We had to restart several times before everything was finally functioning properly.

So at 10:15am, the entire office was back to normal again. Resistentialism has really taken its toil on us this time. Maybe there really is a poltergeist around somewhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...