Lilypie

Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Performing Arts

Performing Arts is one area I have always loved to go into. My parents are those typical parents who want me to be the best in everything, so since young, I have been enrolled in Piano, Electone, Ballet and Speech and Drama classes. I went for many a music competitions while I was growing up. I have also been in school choirs since primary school. Thus, I've performed in SYF Choirs and Dance Competitions.

Whenever I was performing, be it solo or in group, I was always dazzled by the glamourous lights and everyone's attention. It was during those split mini-secounds that you realise you are a star! And it is such a wonderful feeling to know that everyone was focused on you and loved what you do by applauding loudly. It is an even greater feeling when your name is called out for being the winner of the Junior Pianist of the Year Award, or being the country winner of the International Electone Festival, or getting a gold in SYF, or delivering a monologue in a school play. My secondary school years were the best times of my life, as I got to be involved in performing arts. I joined the Choir, Ballet and Drama groups, and played both the piano and electone for school functions. I was also in the Library and Prefectorial Board. I was busy all the time attending meetings and practising for performances, but I was happy as I was really enjoying myself. After my 'O' Levels, I wanted to do performing arts full-time. Unfortunately, my parents disagreed. They argued that one cannot survive being a performer, better do something professional like law, or medicine or engineering or accountancy. Thus, my dream was shattered. I gave up performing arts and concentrated on my studies.

Last year, when I was on the crossroads of my life, I came to a decision. For years, I have been leading the life which others wanted of me. It was time to take charge of my life. I am not getting any younger, if I have to start living my life again, it has to be now. I looked back on the years I have wasted in not pursuing my dreams with regret. As a result, I started refreshing my piano skills. The next step would be to find a performing group which caters to people my age. When I was recommended the Lyric Opera, I was a little skeptical. I have not sung for quite some time, although I have been conducting my school's choir. Besides, it is opera singing, which I honestly did not think I am good enough for. But I still went for the audition, and the rest, as they say, is history.

When I was rehearsing for my debut of "Madame Butterfly" in April, I was so happy. I had almost forgotten how much fun it was to rehearse for a performance. And I had not enjoyed myself or been so happy for so long. During the few days of performance, I saw the lights and had a sense of deja vu. When I saw the full house every night and the standing ovation, I came to the long-forgotten conclusion that this is where I truly belong.

This was my first major performance, but it will definitely not be my last. My next step is to try for the Classical Ballet at Singapore Dance Theatre, as well as modern social dancing. Who knows, perhaps my dream of long ago can still come true.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...