Lilypie

Monday, June 6, 2005

Housework Blues

My maid left for home on Saturday morning. Not for good (thank goodness!) but for a well-deserved break. So for the next 2 weeks or so, I have to be a full-time employee as well as part-time housekeeper and dog-sitter, not to mention computer doctor as well.

I must admit : I suck at housework. That's the result of having a maid all your life. The only time I actually did some form of housework was when I moved into NUS's Eusoff Hall and NTU's Hall 13. That was when I had to do my own laundry, folding, ironing, sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, bed-making and occasional cooking. I actually enjoyed every moment of it as it was a sign of liberty for me, away from my parents, no curfew and restrictions, living a life of my own.

My mum delegated tasks for us. I have to sweep and mop the entire upstairs, while my brother has to do the same for the entire downstairs. He actually has it easier, considering there is only the living room, dining room and kitchen downstairs, whereas there are my bedroom, bathroom, parents' room, study room, brothers' room and hallway upstairs. I had to do the back-breaking task of mopping the entire upstairs. And by upstairs, I mean just the second floor, it does not include the attic room on the third floor. By downstairs, I mean areas in the house, not the garden and driveway outside. This is one of those times I really really wish that my maid need not go back afterall.

Come to think of it, it may not be that hard to adjust afterall. I do not have to make any major changes to my schedule. I just have to walk my dog daily as usual and feed him. However, I had to wake up earlier to give him a bath. As for our eating habits, my family members and I will each settle our own meals. The problem is my grandmother, but I guess any of us can just buy food back for her.

My mum takes care of the laundry. Everything is just thrown into the washing machine for ease of cleaning. The only problem is that the clothes, especially my executive suits, will become very crumpled, so I have to do the dreaded task of ironing my own clothes. (I leave my other family members to their own ironing.) Perhaps I can do what my friend does - have a movie marathon while ironing. Only thing is I may get too engrossed in the movie and risk burning my clothes.

All in all, I believe it is very good training especially for a domestically-impaired person like myself. But I really can't wait for my maid to come back so I can relinquish all back to her. Which got me thinking - if I do get married in the future, either I be a full-time homemaker and work part-time or work full-time and get a maid, or else my future partner has to help out with half the housework. I realise I cannot cope with being both. I really take my hats off those women who can hold a full-time job, go home do the housework, and take care of elders and kids all at the same time, yet without complaining. So guys out there, better treasure these type of women as they are really great!

7 comments:

Shaunzy said...

haha, the world may spite me for saying this, and all you feminists out there will probably burn my image at a stake, but hell... It's good training for ya. Dun worry, in 14 days, it'll all come to pass, so chin up, and don't fret. It's good excercise, by the way. :)

musiclover987123 said...

Yo shakespeareheroine !

I found "this post" while searching for cd - I dunno why your post came up, but your post did get my attention and interest!

Hey - Tonight, I'm being blown away by the "nuclear-meltdown, piano-mania, happy blues" piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. And I can't stop smiling :)

I wonder if you like it as much as I do... Lemme know, ok?


Thanks,

- Greg
PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
cd
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

rj2yik said...

Yo shakespeareheroine !

I found "this post" while searching for piano - I dunno why your post came up, but your post did get my attention and interest!

Hey - Tonight, I'm being blown away by the "nuclear-meltdown, piano-mania, happy blues" piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. And I can't stop smiling :)

I wonder if you like it as much as I do... Lemme know, ok?


Thanks,

- Greg
PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
piano
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

musiclover987123 said...

Hi There shakespeareheroine !

Good post.

I'm a music fanatic, and I found your post, "this post", while looking for info on joplin - I don't know why the post came up, but it did capture my attention! Thank You!

Hey - Tonight, I'm being frothed by the "nuclear-meltdown, piano-mania, happy blues" piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. I just can't stop smiling :)

I wonder if you feel it as much as I do...

Thanks,

- Jim

PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
joplin
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

rj2yik said...

Hi There shakespeareheroine !

Great post.

Music is the best reward, IMHO - For me today it's the smokin' piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. And I just can't stop moving - So Cool :)

I wonder if you feel it as much as I do...

Thanks,

- Johnson

PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
entertaining
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

iop6uy said...

Hi There shakespeareheroine !

Good post.

I'm a music fanatic, and I found your post, "this post", while looking for info on rhythm n blues - I don't know why the post came up, but it did capture my attention! Thank You!

Hey - Tonight, I'm being frothed by the "nuclear-meltdown, piano-mania, happy blues" piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. I just can't stop smiling :)

I wonder if you feel it as much as I do...

Thanks,

- Jim

PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
rhythm n blues
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

musiclover987123 said...

Hello shakespeareheroine !

I'm a music lover, and I found your post, "this post", while searching for info on funk music - I don't know why your post came up, but it did capture my attention and interest! Thank You!

Hey - Tonight, I'm being frothed into a righteous euphoria by the "nuclear-meltdown, piano-mania, happy blues" piano music at http://www.claycotton.com. And I just can't stop smiling :)

I wonder if you like it as much as I do... Lemme know, ok?


Thanks,

- Sandra

PS: I hope you enjoy these sites:
funk music
piano blues piano blues
blues piano blues piano
boogie woogie boogie woogie
boogie woogie boogie woogie piano
piano secrets blues piano secrets
ltci long term care insurance
football football resources

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...