Lilypie

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ne'er A High-Achiever Be ...

Some people have asked if I was the top student from a top school. I wonder what gave them the idea? I was only an average student, nowhere near the top. I never really liked studying when I was young. It was only after my 'O' Levels when I had to give up my performing dream that I finally turned my attention to my studies. But my parents were the ones who goaded me, always insisting I must score well enough to be in the best class. Just think of the amount of punishment I suffered and the number of assessment books I completed just to achieve good enough grades to remain in the best class.

I was never in any of those top schools. In fact, my secondary school ranked an average of 35 out of the top 50 schools for Express/Special streams. But I love my alma mater; my former principal was very into performing arts and emphasized on an all-rounded education. Mission school education and culture is really different from normal government schools.

I only scored 2A*, 1A and 1B for my PSLE, with a score of 252. Now, do any of you seriously think that is good? That is way below the top scorers of 260s, 270s and 280s. Even more so for my 'O' Levels – only 10 points with 3 A1s, 2 A2s, 3 B3s and 1 B4, as compared to all the single pointers. It was a wonder I could still enter a premier JC and offered a Humanities Scholarship.

Even when I entered university, I was never the top. That was partly why I dropped out of law school - I was not smart enough to continue. In NIE, I took subjects I like, so I was motivated by interest to do well. Even then I was never a straight A student, mostly A and B-average type of grades. I guess that was why I was not selected for the Honours programme. I am hoping that my current part-time studies (which has been shelved for a year) will enable me to be a straight-A student and get an Honours degree for once.

So you can see, I am just an average human being, not a super being or a high achiever. Now talking about super, you should see Super Sonic. That is one person who is really a high-achiever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...