Lilypie

Thursday, June 9, 2005

The Case of the Missing File

I had 15 files in limbo for the moment. Yesterday, some long overdue important documents finally came in. Part of my responsibilities are such that the important documents have to be checked through by the Boss before she hands over to me for the necessary vetting, proof-reading, filing, processing, banking in cheque payments, stamping and final transmission back to clients and their clients.

When those documents made their way to my desk, I had to attach them to the respective file. So I sieved through my stack, but, horror of horrors! the file was nowhere to be found! I went into panic-driven mode. I went round the entire office asking if others had taken the file (highly unlikely actually since I am solely in charge of the case, but I was desperate). I opened cupboards where other case files are kept and searched through the entire lot. I even dug out the "Closed File" box just in case someone might have mistakenly stuffed it in.

I almost broke down when I searched everywhere but to no avail. Oh no, there goes my job, my reputation, my money, my everything. I was contemplating how best to explain to the Boss without incurring too big a scolding, when I sorted out the files on my desk and lo and behold! I found the file! It was on my desk all these while, buried under other files. At that point in time, I felt so relieved that hypertension almost got me. The feeling was like you thought you were suffering from a heart attack, then suddenly your blood pressure went way down. 2 extremes.

Anyway I learnt my lesson – not to have too many files on your desk. I have to start calling clients and hound them to revert so I can clear the entire stack. I get stressed just by looking at them. Times like these bring out the bitch in me. ;-p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...