Lilypie

Monday, September 12, 2005

A Tribute To Parents

Parents can be the most contradictory people in the world. Every one I have come across who is a parent always contradicts their statements regarding their children. My parents, my friends’ parents, my colleagues and friends who are parents, all behave the same way.

Take my parents for instance. On one hand they say I am old enough to do what I like, on the other hand they still want to control what I do. On one hand, they tell me to find a mate to settle down with, on the other hand they find fault with every guy I bring home. My friend was also complaining about her father yesterday. When she was still studying, her dad forbade even guys to call her up. When she was in a relationship after graduating, her dad pushed her to get married. Now that she is single, her dad would nag at her for coming home straight after work and not socialize around.

Even for my cousin, after she graduated, her parents gave her a mobile phone, but she started staying out late and switched off her phone so her parents would not call her. Then when she started cutting down on night life and staying home during weekends, her parents panicked and wanted our older relatives to bring her out to socialize. Her parents were so happy when she finally got a boyfriend that they treated him like their precious son, and started pushing them to get married. Now that they finally got married two years back, her parents are now pushing them to have a baby.

My ex-colleague whom I look upon as some sort of a godmother, always told us that a woman has to be submissive to her husband. After all, the husband is the head of the household, so a woman should be gentle and understanding. No man can stand a wife who is very fierce or unreasonable to him. Now that her daughter is married and so submissive to her husband, she is upset that she feels she has lost her daughter, as her daughter seems to listen to her in-laws more than her. Really a bundle of contradictions!

But I guess not having been a parent (yet), I can never ever understand how parents function. But one thing I know is that it is a real joy to have a child. When I was sixteen, I carried my baby niece in my arms, and she was so cute and sweet that even at that moment in time, I knew I would like to get married and have kids. When my cousin came visiting the other day, she brought her baby girl along. Again I carried her and played with her. Babies and kids really bring such a joy into one’s life.

Parents are actually the greatest people in the world, as they are the biggest influence in our lives. Although some may not show it or do not know how to show it (being of the more conservative Asian culture), all parents do love their children. Despite all the favouritism to my brothers, I do believe my parents love me in their own ways. Let us show our parents how much we appreciate them for their efforts in bringing us up and teaching us the right values in life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...