Lilypie

Friday, September 2, 2005

I Need More Welfare!

The people here really need more welfare. My friend in England told me that she had tried applying for various teaching positions, but all could only get back to her in mid-September as it was the summer holidays and they are not obliged to work. Then why do the teachers here still need to work during the holidays?! The people over there are very laid back. They really know the concept of working hard and playing hard.

In Europe in general, each staff is entitled to an annual leave of up to nine weeks. Wow! I did not even have that much leave when I was teaching; the most I had was up to five weeks of holidays. Maternity leave is one month before delivery and three months after delivery, and if any time the new mother is not ready to go back to work, she can be entitled to another two months off with full pay. Sick leave need not be supported by any medical chit; people can just call in sick. People have their own lives after work. Nobody will point fingers if the staff do not work late.

We only have a miserable two weeks, and even that, we are not allowed to take all at once. Maternity leave is only three months, with unpaid leave for any additional time. Sick leave must always be supplemented by a medical chit (which means the doctors here are probably very rich) and we may be marked down if we just go off on time everyday. Honestly are people obliged to work after office hours in the first place?! Does it mean your work attitude sucks or productivity decreases because you do not stay late in the office? And it is not as if we are being paid overtime; in fact most companies do not give overtime allowance for staff who has to work late.

Perhaps I really should migrate one of these days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative Keep up the great work. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; how to buy & sell shania twain concert ticket on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

Anonymous said...

Great blog here! I've bookmarked you!

I have a fiberglass shower unit website/blog. It covers all fiberglass shower unit related stuff.

Come and check it out :-)

asen said...

I don't think that going home on time means you are lazy. Only workaholics people will think about that. If staying late outside office hour is a must, I won't stay long on that office.

I don't yearn for 9 weeks leave a year so long I can go back on time without any finger pointing =) =)

Ole' Wolvie said...

The phrase "Work hard, play hard" was not coined by an Asian.

In Singapore it is: "If you can play hard, you're not working hard enough"

I really wonder though, my supervisor has been taking like 1 day leave every month, and I seem to have no time to take leave...

shakespeareheroine said...

Asen : Totally agree with you. I never like to do any overtime as well.

Ole Wolvie : I know what you mean. In my previous firm, my supervisor can one shot take three days off in a row every month, leaving me to cover her work and no time to take leave as once she is back, it'd be another busy period. So unfair. That's why when I resigned I took all the accumulated leave I was owed. :-p

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...