Lilypie

Saturday, September 3, 2005

Vanity Has A Price ......

I am really ashamed. I always thought that I am well-groomed enough but some guys I know can win me hands-down. Their skincare regime is even more comprehensive than mine! When my second ex joined the airline, he started using a facial scrub, mask and moisturiser when in the past he shunned all these products and washed his face only with soap. As a favour I bought him the entire Clinique Happy range for men as a Christmas gift. Now a certain friend of mine carries oil blotters around, uses moisturiser and facial wash for his oily skin and even went to get his teeth fixed a few days back. Enter the era of the metrosexual male! Now I must add a new criteria for my search for the right guy - a metrosexual well-groomed guy!

I realise that the older I get the more I need to spend to upkeep my vanity. Where just few years back when I was in my early twenties I could get away with just a cleanser, toner and moisturiser routine, tinted moisturiser as foundation and sheer lip gloss as makeup, now I cannot live without a weekly scrub, monthly mask, serum after moisturiser and eye cream, especially now when I notice even more lines around my eyes. Concealer, two-way powder, lip balm and hand cream are the other things I swear by nowadays. Skin loses its elasticity as it gets older so in order to maintain my looks as I age mature, I need to spend more on skincare to still look like 20 even when I am 40.

The skincare products I buy in order to preserve my youth has set me back a bomb, but what to do since I am so ultra vain? At least I make the effort to look good and presentable. Money is not the only commodity I have to pay; I have to pay a high price in terms of time too. When I was younger and could get away with simpler skincare and makeup, I could wake up at 7:30am and still reach the office on time at 9:00am. Now I have to wake up at 7:00am just to indulge in skincare and makeup. That is not including manicure and pedicure which I normally do every Sunday night to keep my nails looking perfect. Luckily my company is not particular over hair grooming so I can just let my hair down and get away with just normal brushing and combing. Now that I have straight hair it is so much easier to maintain.

Actually I am not that bad already. Those SIA girls need at least three hours to prepare before a flight. They need to wash and condition their hair, blow dry it completely before bunning up neatly, paint their nails and let them dry so as not to smudge and put on their full makeup so as to make it seem like they have flawless skin in tip-top condition. I could have been a SIA girl as I was actually called for an interview but was rejected at the last stage as I was half a centimetre below the required height. :-(

I foresee that when I get older, my skincare and makeup routine will get even more complicated, time-consuming and expensive. But that is the price of vanity! Looking good does not come that easy. There is a lot of work involved!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Celia, wow keep on writing okie...I have faith that one day you and your blog will be going places globally....and this is the truth, the real truth;-)your friend fr friendster - singapore_bachelor : david

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks for your support all these while! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...