Lilypie

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Trouble - One After Another

Why is there one problem after another?! Is there no end to my frustrations this week? I have problems over even such a simple thing like opening a bank account. The fates seem to be conspiring against me this week. Just when something becomes better, something else gives me trouble.

I had to open another bank account as my company only channels our salaries through a certain bank. Needless to say, the bank account which I have been holding since young cannot be used. Thus, I had to go down to the bank in question on Tuesday during lunch time and asked for a new account. The teller asked me to open a current account with an initial deposit of S$1,000.00 with chequing facilities. So I said I just wanted a normal savings account as I already have a chequing account. But he said to open a normal savings account, I must show some proof.

I remarked that I already handed over my pink identity card; would that not be proof enough of my citizenship? But he said in that bank, to open a normal savings account, one must earn below a certain sum, so he asked me for my pay slip. I said my company needed me to open a bank account urgently and it is not in the habit of giving out pay slips. So he asked for my CPF Statement, which I said I am not in the habit of carrying my statements around. Honestly, whoever heard of opening a bank account based on salary scale?! Then he told me since I was not able to furnish any proof, he was not able to open an account for me. Can you believe that?!

When I went back to the office, I tried explaining to my Office Manager, and asked if I could have my pay in the form of a cheque. She said there was nothing she could do if I could not give her my bank account number, as she could not issue cheques of more than S$1,000.00 at a time. So I tried to download my statement from the CPF website, only to realize that I had forgotten my SingPass, thus could not access the login page. I had to go down to CPF Building (luckily my office is around the vicinity) to get my SingPass reset. When I tried to login again, the entire page was down! Why do things keep happening to me?! It took several tries before I could finally access, login, download and print out my entire CPF Statement.

I went back to the bank in question on Wednesday during lunch time, this time armed with my CPF Statement. And guess what?! I was able to open the bank account without even needing to show my statement! It was a different teller this time, and she just opened the account for me with no questions asked. Then why did the teller of the previous day made things so complicated for me?!

This is really not a good week. I seem to be running into trouble of all areas. But anyway the most important thing is that I managed to get the bank account thing settled so I can be paid normally like the rest. At least that is a load off my mind.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Weird bank...

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes I agree. First time I encountered something like this also.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...