Lilypie

Thursday, September 29, 2005

TIME : A Fashion Magazine?

This week’s TIME Magazine comes with a supplement of TIME Style, where the entire issue is on the fashion legends and icons like Polo Ralph Lauren, Christian Dior and Giorgio Armani, as well as the new looks for Fall 2005. Well, is TIME Magazine moving towards the fashion arena? Then the other fashion magazines will have to go out of business soon.

I have been reading extracts of articles from TIME Magazine since my university years, but I have only started reading every issue this year. My youngest brother is very lucky to go to a school where the students have to subscribe to TIME Magazine as part of General Paper classes. I never had that priviledge. So everytime my brother is done with an issue, he will hand it over to me and I will spend hours poring over the interesting articles inside.

TIME Magazine is a good read because the articles are on world issues and current affairs. The articles feature journalism in the highest degree. It is a journalist’s dream to be on the editorial panel of TIME Magazine, just like it is a photographer’s dream to be on the panel of National Geographic Magazine.

I remember when I was taking my curriculum English module back in NIE, the lecturer told us about the different degrees of writing for different audience. Take our local papers for example. The New Paper is targeted for ‘N’ Levels, Straits Times for ‘O’ Levels, Business Times for ‘A’ Levels, and TIME Magazine and The Economist for degree holders. Readers’ Digest is for everyone. Thus, there is a big difference in the writing styles and articles featured in the various papers and magazines.

This also reminded me of the time when I was doing introductory law and we had to submit a portfolio of fifteen articles on the issues and different areas of law. The lecturer specifically told us not to take any articles from The New Paper. The articles must at least be from The Straits Times, and she expected us to check out other newspapers of the world as well. So I had to go round the whole island searching high and low for foreign newspapers like the International Herald Tribune (the best newspaper I have ever read so far), South China Daily Post, The Daily Mirror, Apple Daily, The Star, Asian Tribune, Bangkok Post, The Nation and The Sun. One newspaper I have never been able to find but would so love to read is the New York Post.

I have been reading Reader’s Digest since I-cannot-remember-when, and some of the articles are light-hearted and heart-warming. It is a good read after a tiring day of school and you like to learn more about how to grow nice vegetables or take care of your pet, etc. I do not buy The New Paper, although I will always borrow from my friends whenever I see them with one. My friends have the habit of buying The New Paper and reading it on the bus or train.

My parents subscribe to both The Straits Times and the Chinese newspaper, so almost every evening I will just flip and scan through the articles. I do not read Business Times although I do read The Economist once in a while as and when I managed to find a copy. I have been reading the local female magazines as there are many real issues which I can relate to, as well as National Geographic as I am always astounded by the beautiful photos. Besides, I can learn more about what is happening to the natural environment around us. Now my favourite read is TIME Magazine, full of intense articles with no right and wrong conclusions, issues which readers can debate over.

I am not sure if this is the first time that TIME Magazine comes with a fashion supplement, but I guess this is the reason why it is such a good read and highly popular around the world. It uses different genres of writing, and tackles a wide variety of issues, from politics to history to geography to science and technology to business to literature to economics to religion and now to fashion. One will feel so much more enriched just by reading one article from TIME alone. This is one magazine I am definitely going to continue subscribing to, together with Readers’ Digest and National Geographic.

5 comments:

Thamps said...

Hey, i subscribe to exactly the same set of magazines!

Goy said...

Haha...it's true during A levels the students subscribe to Time Magazine. What about Newsweek? Quite okay I guess..

shakespeareheroine said...

Thamps : Do you have older issues of National Gepgraphic or Time?

Goy : Wa... so lucky! I only wish my school have asked us to read these! Haven't read Newsweek, but from what I heard, Time is still better.

Goy said...

icic. Aiya, can say that we are more privileged now la. Cause they even come with a Times Questionaire together with the mag. Haha..

thamps said...

i only started subscribing recently...can't remember when i started. prob when i started teaching, which is middle of 2004

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...