Lilypie

Monday, September 26, 2005

The Best-Laid Plans

“Did you just say you love me?” said I to a friend.

“Aye aye,” said he to me. To which he sent me a heart and a kiss.

“That is so sweet, but a pity you are not the type I like.” I feel bad breaking his heart, but I do not wish to go through another ordeal like what happened with that pesky fellow.

“Never mind, since both of us are history,” he answered.

“Excuse me?” I was bewildered.

“Yes, since I am the Samson to your Delilah, the Caesar to your Cleopatra, the Romeo to your Juliet, the Hamlet to your Ophelia and the Macbeth to your Lady. So ‘choose I, and you will never be regretted’, so said Malvolo, isn’t it?” And he thinks he is quoting everything so well.

“If you are to quote Shakespeare, please get your quotes right. It is ‘Choose I, and joy be the consequence’, as stated by Bassanio from ‘Merchant of Venice’.” I corrected. “Besides, Delilah caused Samson’s downfall, Cleopatra caused the death of both Caesar and Antony (and she herself was poisoned), Romeo killed himself for Juliet (who also committed suicide), Ophelia had to leave Hamlet, and Lady Macbeth turned mad and killed herself after causing Macbeth’s downfall.”

“…..” he was astounded. “I thought you will be touched by someone quoting Shakespeare to you.”

“I do not need anyone to quote Shakespeare to me. But if anyone is to do it, then make sure he does it right. I simply cannot stand it if a person knows nothing whatsoever and still think he is so smart.” I retorted.

“Ok, sorry. I just thought you will like a more literal guy.”

“Literacy is built from young. If you are not in the habit of reading and writing, then do not bother picking it up now as it will be too much for you to handle. Thank you very much as it is really flattering, but you are really not the type I am looking for.”

“So what is your type?” he asked.

“Someone smart and knowledgeable, can talk about any topic under the sun, someone with charisma, someone who has similar ideals to me, similar interests and someone who is caring, filial, respectful, who can at least speak proper fluent English and someone I can click with. I am not going to make the same mistake of ending up with the wrong person again.” I feel bad being so direct, but it is really no point if he is not my type.

“Ok, I will respect your decision then. I thought my plan will go so well and you will melt once I said those things. But anyway, have you found someone like that?” Seems like a nice guy at least.

“The best-laid plans of mice and men sometimes will fail because of poor order and method. One has to often rely on intuition and the little grey cells one has to ensure everything works out properly. And yes, I seem to have found someone smart, seems compatible and very similar to me, but for now, we are just friends. It is best to just let things happen naturally than to do up an action plan but in the end cannot achieve what you set out to do. I am trying not to be so emotionally-swayed and always let my heart overrule my head.”

“Erh… sorry, you are too “cheem” for me. Can you explain again?”

“Forget it, I am going to bed. Good night.” I signed out.

This reminds me of the time when my first brother was trying to court a girl in his college. He spent so much on her (no wonder my mum always complains that he behaves like some Singaporean rich young master up there), gave her everything she wanted, walked her back to her hostel, was there for her when she was down, yet at the end of it all, she said she only treated him as a brother, and started a relationship with someone else. When he called me crying to Heaven and Earth, I was at a loss as to how to comfort him. It also pains me to see him get rejected, especially since that girl was his first love after almost twenty years of his life. But he eventually got over her and was trying to court one of the freshmen in his college a few weeks ago, only to find that she is already taken.

My youngest brother also had a similar experience. His first love was a pretty girl in his secondary school. She is good in her studies and very active in school activities. When he showed me their class photo and pointed her out, I was remaking, “Good taste! Never knew you had such high expectations!” Even my ex-boyfriend agreed he made the right choice. He planned to let her know subtly, kept messaging her and talking to her online, called her up for help on any homework and was about to let her know how he felt about her. Unfortunately, she liked someone else who rejected her (I wonder why if she is really such a good catch), and after that she decided to concentrate on her ‘O’ level examinations, so my brother lost his chance. He seems to be over it now though, and said he will not think of starting a relationship until after his army days at least.

Why do these keep happening to all three of us? All of us seem to be so unlucky when it comes to love and relationships. But at times, no matter what you plan, things may turn out otherwise. Just like I never planned to be attached only until university or after that, but after secondary school until the time I graduated, I was already in two relationships. I planned to teach and contribute to society for life, but there are certain things that happened which changed the course of events.

Plans for love and relationships are not the only ones that fail. What about plans for murder? Murderers think they always have the best-laid plans, but in the end justice still caught up with them. And also things like family planning. Sometimes accidents do happen. No matter how one plans, unexpected things do happen at times. So since the best-laid plans may go awry, shall we even plan to do what we want to do out of life? Or shall we just go with the flow and take things naturally?

9 comments:

sen said...

Good story =)

food for thought: btw, not to be rude... but the previous song on your website is much nicer than the current one

Anonymous_X said...

“Never mind, since both of us are history,” he answered.

In the Universe B, the conversation may have proceeded with you asking him why on earth he said that he loved you--esp. since he himself admitted to be a mere part of the history.

shakespeareheroine said...

Sen : I know, the Forrest Gump song is nicer. But since the song has been around for a while, I thought of changing so can inject more variety. I will still change back once in a while, but I plan to play different types of songs for more variety.

Anon_X : Yeah, I should probably say that instead. Maybe because no one ever said that to me before, so it was a bit refreshing.

Ole' Wolvie said...

Hurhur.. now you know how I feel when I see wrong 'scientific facts' being paraded under my nose.

But I am a forgiving wolf :P

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, yes, my apologies.

Ole' Wolvie said...

It is a handy tool, being able to find what if of 'equivalent' value to other people as compared to your own.

I am not up to par on my lierature, and at least now I know to do at least a little research before doing quotes :D Somehow, even though I fancy myself as a linguist, I can never remember phrases verbatim... and that's another reason why I can't remember song lyrics to save my life.

shakespeareheroine said...

I'm opposite you though. I don't consider myself a linguist, but somehow I'm more inclined towards the humanities side. Things like Geography, History, Literature facts, events and quotes and song lyrics, etc, I can remember, but when it comes to scientific facts, I'll be totally lost and can't remember anything I've learnt.

Goy said...

Sometimes the things you plan in life may not really go well for you because of the unexpected. I think when the time comes, it will come so its best just to worry for one day. There is one chapter in the Bible which talks about leaving your worries for tomorrow for tomorrow. Today has enough worries for itself.

shakespeareheroine said...

I guess so. It is not good to worry incessantly.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...