Lilypie

Friday, September 30, 2005

Why Am I So Unlucky Lately?!

Can you believe I actually got fired today due to linguistic inability?! It came as such a surprise to me when at the end of the day, I was summoned to the other partner's room, and said my services are terminated. They are paying me one and half months in advance as compensation. Apparently they preferred someone who can speak a variety of dialects to handle the clients my Boss has.

In the first place, when I went for the interview, I already stated that I am not able to speak any dialect, but if they really needed someone who can speak dialect, I can try to pick up. So I was told I was actually supposed to be working for one of the other lawyers who would be going to court and I had to follow to court and prepare all the necessary documentation. Then on my first day, they put me under the big Boss himself - the one with all the foreign and elderly clients who cannot speak my language and I cannot understand when they talk too fast.

Is there anything wrong with just knowing how to speak English?! They hired me despite knowing that, and now they removed me for the same reason?! Apparently I got into some trouble with one of the Indonesian Associates who thought I was from Indonesia (not the first time someone think I am Indonesian so I am used to that already), and started speaking to me in Bahasa. I thought he was talking on the phone so did not reply. In the end he had to raise his voice at me just when my Boss happened to walk past. I apologised and said that I did not know he was talking to me, and besides, I do not speak Bahasa (at least not yet). Anyway there was still some miscommunication as I could hardly understand his English so I made some mistakes in some of the documents and he started screaming at me again. I had to amend the documents five times (first was the miscommunication, the rest was because he could not make up his mind thus kept changing the wordings) before he was finally satisfied.

I guess also whenever a dialect-speaking client called I had to pass the phone to my colleague who could understand the dialect. Thus a lot of times, my colleague ended up solving the problem for me. Anyway I believe along the way something happened and some people said some things so now the bosses think I am totally incompetent.

Plus the fact that whenever I was not sure of things, I had to spend some time reading up and researching, and asking for guidance on how best to handle so as to solve the problem in the best way, thus people must have felt that I am really incapable of handling matters. But it is not as if I ask all the time, only once in a while when I was really stumped on what to do. And, as usual, I still meet people who take credit for what I do. Is it any wonder why I got fired then?

Why am I so unlucky lately?! Now I am out of love, probably soon to be out of family, and now out of a job as well. The only good thing that came out of it was that I have two interviews scheduled already, one tomorrow and the other on Tuesday. Strange coincidence to receive emails on the job interviews the very day I lost my job. And it was on the resume I sent in quite some time back, before this recent job. Now I have to go through the entire tiring procedure again.....

Why can't I just have some good luck for once?!

10 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Your interview is part of the good luck parcel. Welcome them with open arms. IF you show up disgruntled, you're throwing your luck away.

Goy said...

You see...since you did have so much problem with your ex job, maybe it would be better to move on to a better job. I dun really think its got to do with bad luck but how you look at it. You have 2 interviews for a new job immediately after you are fired. This means that you are still wanted in the working world after all ma..

shakespeareheroine said...

Ole Wolvie : I know, I am trying to get as much luck as I possibly can right now.

Goy : As I said, it's probably a coincidence since the resume was sent out quite some time back. Or else it is God helping me.

gus said...

>>Is there anything wrong with just knowing how to speak English?!

Of course there's nothing wrong, just that you might not fit in some workplace that need dual-lingo.
I am a firm believer that there's no bad employee; it is just a matter of fit. I truly think the company made a wise decision for themselves and for yourself.

Anonymous_X said...

As per your 2nd paragraph, it looks like the interviewer (HR?) has screwed up once again. Such a poor follow-up in ensuring that you're given a task according to your ability.

Yes, it must have felt wretched to have to go through job interview processes again. But it's definitely for the best.

Don't give up.

blue said...

never say die! all the best in your job search! i'm doing likewise too!!

aquavitae said...

Hey SH, for all it's worth, cheer up and dun worry ok? Sorry that you have to go through an experience like this. Agree with anonymous_x there. The HR in yr prev company totally did a bad job. But better that you leave now anyway, shouldn't give two-hoots about a company that doesn't know what it needs and who it hires.

all the best for your new job interviews, you'll get a better one!

shakespeareheroine said...

Gus : I know... but still cannot help feeling cheated.

Anon_X & Aquavitae : Thanks, hoping for good news soon as well!

Blueangel : Best of luck to you too!

Long Island Guide said...

Hi shakespeareheroine,

I’m starting a free book of the month on various topics. No strings attached just go to my blog and download the file..

This month… Secrets of a Happy Marriage Revealed!

Here’s some of the topics…

How to heighten your closeness to each other.
The reasons behind why couples should also spend time AWAY from their children
The essential qualities of a successful marriage.

Visit my blog http://www.longislandguide.com/blog to download you free book.

And for other information we have so many different topics including Long Island Used GMC at our site.

Always the best,
Lonny

Long Island Guide said...

Hi shakespeareheroine,

I’m starting a free book of the month on various topics. No strings attached just go to my blog and download the file..

This month… Secrets of a Happy Marriage Revealed!

Here’s some of the topics…

An important factor that can make a great impact on your relationship.
Why respect is as important as love in a relationship.
How to handle conflicts properly.

Visit my blog http://www.longislandguide.com/blog to download you free book.

And for other information we have so many different topics including LI Used Nissan at our site.

Always the best,
Lonny

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...