Lilypie

Monday, August 1, 2005

Madame Butterfly - Revisited

I finally had the chance to watch the DVD of my recent performance. There were certain things that I never realised until I have actually seen the show as an audience. Here are some lessons to take note of while performing on stage in the future :

1. The best position on stage is either in front or at the back. My kimono happened to be the nicest-looking among the group so the Director placed me in front of the group (perhaps it was due to height too). However the position happened to be in the middle of the stage, so I was blocked by the group of "geishas" in front. As a result, I could hardly be seen.

2. My girl friends acting as the "geishas" looked really nice and graceful!

3. There was more footage of a dear friend of mine but he looked so fierce on stage, especially when he came down with his arms folded. (Thank goodness you do not look or behave like this in real life!)

4. Stage makeup has to be really heavy. We had to do the makeup ourselves as there were not enough makeup artists to go around. Although my makeup was already much heavier than normal days, it was still not enough as it could hardly be seen on stage.

5. Always have a sewing kit handy for emergencies. My kimono split at both sides on the second day of the full-dress rehearsal. The wardrobe mistress had to use safety pins to pin up the sides. Even then I was so worried that the whole thing would just come apart while on stage. Luckily it was just a rehearsal and nothing happened - imagine if something like that happened during the actual performance! The wardrobe group mended my costume in time for the performance after that so the three days of performance went by without a hitch. Whew!

6. Bring a camera (preferably a digital one) along at all times so as to snap lots and lots of pictures as memories anytime during pre-, post-performance, on break, while backstage or in dressing rooms or the corridor.

7. Voice projection must be really loud if singing from backstage, otherwise it would not be heard on stage.

It is really exciting to perform! Looking forward to the next performance, "Street Scene" at Victoria Theatre, 26th - 27th August 2005, 8:00p.m. Tickets can be bought from SISTIC. Please come support my group!

For those who want to borrow the "Madame Butterfly" DVD just to see me (although I cannot really be seen), please let me know. I am sorry I cannot copy for you since the copyright belongs to the Lyric Opera. But you are welcome to take and watch it. Just make sure you do not copy or distribute it and give it back to me once you are done. This is the one and only copy of the performance disc I own, so please take good care of it. Thanks in advance!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...