Lilypie

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

SARS Revisited?

Is the flu virus recurring again? Just last weekend, I was down with the flu, and my fellow opera mate was also sick but still managed to perform. Last two weeks, there were quite a number of my colleagues who had to take at least two days medical leave due to the flu. I went back to the office on Monday with still a bit of the flu virus. Yesterday another friend just came back after two days of dripping from the hospital due to recurrent fever for a week. Now, my boss himself just went off as he came into the office sniffling and with a bad throat. I wonder if I spread my virus to him?

I just heard from the news a few days back that there was another case of SARS in Taiwan (or is it Hong Kong?). After the SARS scare two years back, where Singapore was put on the list of dangerous countries by the WHO, it was really a big relief when as at 31st May 2003, Singapore was taken off the list of countries by WHO, and it was only in late June when China and Hong Kong were taken off the list that the whole world could rejoice again as it was finally SARS-free.

The question is, where did this virus come from in the first place? There are cases of people dying of pneumonia or acute influenza, but that was the first time when people get something so serious just by contact alone. This lady came back from a Hong Kong trip and caught the dreaded virus as she was in the same lift as a China professor (who subsequently died from the illness) in a hotel in Hong Kong. She started to spread the disease to both her parents and her pastor when he came to pray for her recovery. She survived, but her parents and pastor died. One can only wonder how messed up she must have felt. I sincerely hope she will get over this period of grief and depression and go on with her life.

2 comments:

naniecheng said...

Hi. The SARS virus is not an influenza virus. It is a coronavirus. They're 2 different strains altogether.

shakespeareheroine said...

Right, thanks for pointing out. I knew about the coronavirus thing but just slipped my mind cos it's been quite some time.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...