Lilypie

Saturday, August 27, 2005

What Is In A Name?

There is an old adage "Every Tom, Dick or Harry." What is it about a person's name? So what if someone is called Tom, Dick or Harry? (Although the name Dick may create uproar where guys are concerned.) :-p

But should someone be judged by what he is called? After all, one always say not to judge a book by its cover, then we should not judge a person by his / her name. So what if Grace is not graceful? Or Harry is not hairy? Or May is not born in May? I know of parents (Chinese parents in particular) who gave their kids names incorporating words like "Dragon" (Long), "Strength" (Qiang), "Excellence" (Jie), "Handsome" (Jun), "Beauty" (Mei), etc, hoping the best of the kid. It is actually not wrong to name the kids nice names but the joke will be on the parents if the kids turn out to be totally opposite of their namesake.

My parents picked my name from a combination of two names. One represented the Patron Saint of Music, and the other means "heavenly beauty". In the past, no one believed my name was given by my parents; all thought I named myself after a Shakespeare character. If I had my own way, I would call myself "Jacqueline". Perhaps I will use that for my baptism name. Anyway, my parents combined both names together, hoping I will have both of the qualities, ie musically-inclined and having heavenly beauty. Yet I had neither. :-(

However, my name used to be the butt of jokes in primary school, because it can be mispronounced as something else in English (something that means "ditzy"), and also can be mispronounced as something worse in Hokkien (something that means "death"). During upper secondary Biology lessons, we learnt that a certain part of the human anatomy happened to have the same pronunciation but a different spelling from my name (just a difference of one letter). Needless to say, I was the butt of jokes again. As a result, I used to hate my name. In fact, I still dislike my name. I always wondered why my parents could not give me something nicer sounding, or something that sounds more feminine. The only reason why I am still keeping this name is because not many people have it, and besides, it is the name of one of my favourite Shakespeare characters.

I have met lots of people with unusual names. I like to think that my name is unusual too (as compared to a more popular variation with an additional syllable), because most people will pronounce it as the variation with the additional syllable. I believe those who know me will know only me as having the name. Incidentally, I have only come across one other person with the same name as me so far. That was probably why I used to receive lots of emails from guys throughout junior college and university from the intranet, as firstly, my full name is probably the shortest on the list; secondly, it is unusual, and thirdly, I was probably the only one in the entire school or campus with this name. In fact, most of the guys who used to email me all commented that they find my name unusual and they have not come across anyone else with the same name as me.

I have friends who have unusual names too, like Elkan (probably the only one in Singapore), Angelice (probably could not decide between Alice or Angeline), Damascus (wasn't he a Greek hero?), Janeiro, Galileo (were the parents hoping he would become a famous astronomer with new scientific theories? Perhaps this Galileo will suddenly discover that the Earth may be the Centre of the Universe after all, and the Sun, Moon and Stars all revolve around it. Which reminds me, I have to remember to catch the Mars getting close to Earth tomorrow midnight.), and even Archimedes (Eureka??)!

Recently I also got to know another person with a very unique name, probably the only one of its kind. His name is exactly the same as the current name of one of the offshore islands here, an island used as a British military base during the second World War when the Japanese were about to conquer Singapore. When Singapore was under the Japanese Occupation, this particular island was used as a massacre field, resulting in the former name which means "Island of Death", before it was changed to the current nicer sounding name.

So I guess the lesson is to choose a proper name for your children. People with unusual names get picked on all the time, whether to answer questions, or to fend off irritating people. I am speaking both from personal and friends' experiences. Please do not saddle your children with a name that will cause them to be a sad case for life.

34 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

My name also one of a kind in Singapore :P

shakespeareheroine said...

Really? Can't really comment since I do not know your real name, but I shall take your word for it!

asen said...

well... i guess the name of the island must be my name =P

shakespeareheroine said...

Yup, smart!! :-)

lancerlord said...

There are more queer names like Atomic. I've also heard of twins being called Chemistry and Physics.

BTW, can submit this post to tomorrow.sg?

shakespeareheroine said...

Tomorrow.sg? Sure no problem! Will be very honoured if you think this is good enough to be on tomorrow.sg. Will you be submitting or do you want me to submit?

lancerlord said...

Can submit for you. But no guarantee it will get posted hor, depends on the moderators.

desperate addict said...

Celia sounds like Cecilia in short for me though.

I have an unusual name as well. I bet that I'm the only Chinese in Singapore with such a name. I hope that I'm the only one in the whole world with this name actually. Makes me feel unique. Unfortunately it isn't. But as long as no-one else in Singapore has my name, I'm contented. :)

People have always laughed at my name as well. At least yours just sounds the same as cilia, mine sounds like many other words that aren't very nice.

shakespeareheroine said...

Lancerlord : Thanks so much!

Desperate Addict : It is good to have a unique name isn't it? That's what's been keeping me from changing my name, cos if I change to what I want, then my name won't be that unique after all. And it's not a short form, it's a real name by itself.

Sausage said...

My lecturer was called Atomic Leow. His brothers were Power and... urm. I forgot.
No kidding... they were from the Phillipines, I think.

Anyway, just a few days ago, I got to meet a guy called "Yeong Kam Lan". I have no idea what his parents were thinking.

I still have no idea what your name is though.

shakespeareheroine said...

Atomic Leow? I think I know which school you are in already. But these are very "powerful" names. (Excuse the pun).

"Yeong Kam Lan?" Goodness, how is he going to live with that?

I don't know your name as well, but you can easily guess my name cos it's in my blog title. :-D

Sausage said...

what anatomic oddity sounds like a cilia?

shakespeareheroine said...

Hee hee! Keep guessing!

This side of paradise said...

Cilia?

shakespeareheroine said...

Smart! :-)

nickpan said...

As a parent i think its really stressful to come up with a good name, but i think its also alot to do with what is given to you. You can be either proud that you are singaporean or not, you can also be proud that you are Celia or not, but for "Yeong Kam Lan".... erm... ok ok i get your point.

q i a n said...

when you mentioned "during upper secondary Biology lessons, .... different spelling from my name (just a difference of one letter)." i thought of my name. i don't think we do have the same name tho, but if we do, dear god my sympathies from you. mine's virginia and i've heard the virGIna jokes since primary school. better yet, i used to get called "vagina" when I won awards at competitons by dumbass announcers.

:) it made me special tho. not any old person had the name virginia. i've only met one in the entire time i've been in singapore :)

Anonymous said...

hey, it's not just the the english names. i once knew a guy from army called "Chow Chee Wai". Always the butt (or the other end) of jokes.

Barffie said...

I know of someone who named his daughter Peppermint. Hmm.

I was born without an English name and a boring Chinese name. I rather my mum gave me some exotic name than having myself cracking my brain open trying to decide a name that sounded like the quirky me without any pun-y connections.

Damn. I am now known as Barffie.
-_-

Cilia is nose hair lah!!!!

shakespeareheroine said...

Nickpan : I am proud of my name, probably the only few in Singapore.

Qian : No, we do not have the same names, but I know exactly how you feel to have a name that sounds a lot like a certain part of the body.

Anonymous : Er, "Chow Chee Wai?" I shall remain silent regarding this....

Barffie said...

Wait. Got one famous local model call Celia Tay and one fashion designer called Celia Loe right?

shakespeareheroine said...

Barffie : Thanks for the definition. But I do not need to be reminded of that. :-)

shakespeareheroine said...

Barffie : Yes, there is a Celia Teh and a Celia Loe. So I am glad that at least I am named after rather "famous" personalities.

Barffie said...

It's a hip name! I don't see how your name can be a joke lor. Never mind lah. It's a lovely name, heck care other people's comments okie?

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks, I've been told I have a beautiful name. Which is also partly why I'm still keeping it.:-)

Anonymous said...

Honestly speaking I have to say that Celia isn't that unique a name, although it certainly is a very beautiful one. There's also a Cardigans song titled "Celia Inside". It's a nice song.

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks. I also know of a song entitled "My Lovely Celia". It's supposed to be an opera aria of some sort for a tenor, and mighty difficult to sing. I used to joke with my ex that if we ever get married, he'll have to sing that song for me!

callandor said...

and then i remember someone who was called goh fak yew.

seriously. it came out in the papers last time. i remember reading about it and laughing my head off...so be glad your name not that bad, in fact quite nice wat :D

shakespeareheroine said...

Goh Fak Yew?! Errrrr.... I really have nothing to say to that. :-p

lancerlord said...

Welcome welcome.

Anonymous said...

how about this name which i heard about:
Tan Teo Pak
(waiting to get beaten up)...
even if let's say the friends do not call him by his full name, its also pretty bad...imagine this situation
'Shall we wait for Teo Pak?' (translate this to Hokkien)

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, another classic example.

Lucian said...

Know a girl called Shiting. And a wedding invite I had to send out was to a certain Ang Kar Chng.

Lucian said...

Oh, and there was a major coverage on Chew Shit Fun, who now goes by SF Chew.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...