Lilypie

Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Happy National Day!


Today is my nation's 40th birthday. I am not as patriotic as others I know, but having a place to call home for so long really means something to me now that the country has turned 40. It represents 40 years of independence, struggle, nationalisation, development. And despite being such a small country, it really developed at a very fast rate. There are changes going on all the time. For instance, just seven years ago, there was no way to walk from City Hall MRT to Marina Square or Suntec City without walking from Raffles City and crossing the road opposite. Now, City Link Mall had been completed for five years, so anyone going to either Marina Square or Suntec City just need to pass by the underground walkway of City Link Mall. More convenient and can also shop around at the same time.

It is sad that the locals can recognise the flag, but not many of them know the exact representation of the colours and symbols. The red represents brotherhood (or sisterhood) and equality; white represents purity and virtue. The crescent moon originally served as a reminder to the Malays in 1959 that even though we consist of 80% Chinese, it is not exclusively a Chinese state, but also serves as a symbol for a young nation rising up. The five stars represent democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality.

My godbrother used to remark that everytime he came back, something changed. After staying in Pennsylvania for quite some time, he got used to all the consistency, but whenever he came back, suddenly something new popped up. I always said that is because he had been away too long.

I do feel attached to this place. Most of my family and friends are here. I grew up here. This place holds lots of memories for me - both beautiful and sad. I will not leave here if I have the choice. However if I marry someone who wants to migrate or gets posted overseas, then I will have to leave because I will follow my partner wherever he goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...