Lilypie

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Relationship Lessons

For those of you who have been following my blog, you may notice that my number of posts seem to have decreased significantly. Apparently my friend and I both seem to have some sort of a mental block these few days. I wonder if it is due to all the clearing up of the backlog of work left behind by my predecessor in the office, leaving me too tired with my brain cells used up, or is it because I am losing my touch again? Or maybe this has been rather an uninteresting week so far with nothing much going on. Or is it because my memory is failing me? Nowadays it seems that I can hardly remember things that happened just a few hours before.

I have been feeling emotionally drained the past few days. It is going to be a busy week, with rehearsals every night from today until Thursday, and the “Street Scene” performance on Friday and Saturday. Besides that, I had been “counselling” this friend of mine on her relationship problems. I always ended up trying to help salvage others’ relationships, ironically why can I never salvage any of my own relationships? Probably this explains all the tiredness for the past week.

This friend of mine always claims she is very sensitive and emotional, especially when it comes to relationships. Thus the guy she is with must always reassure her of his love and attention. Hard to believe that there can be anyone else more sensitive or emotional than me. ;-p She said that ever since she agreed to be with the guy, he seemed to be ignoring her. I told her that probably he is really busy and not convenient to answer the phone.

She said that he never seemed to call her anymore, and the times when they do talk it was through instant messaging. So I said maybe he thought that instant messaging is enough since both of them talked for such a long time. Maybe for his part he thought since they have already chatted, it is not that necessary to call. She also said that she passed him her old mobile phone when his went out of order, but she never saw him using it. When questioned, he said the phone was charging. And they have already started for a month, but so far only actually went out twice, as he was on business trips all the time.

Even then, he never held her hand when they went out, even though she hinted at it. His reason was that he still felt a bit shy holding her. When she asked why he was so distant, he replied that he was tired and stressed from work, and told her she was too sensitive. She complained that she seems to be seeing her friends more than her own boyfriend. She even contemplated hiring a private investigator to check him out to see if he was cheating on her! Goodness! She really is too sensitive!

I told her that it was her choice to accept the guy after all, thus if she really feels he is worth it, then she must try to adapt and compromise according to his lifestyle, and trust him. Otherwise just give up and move on. One thing I learnt in a relationship is never to bug the guy too much. Guys need their own personal space for themselves. Never question what they need the space for; they just do.

A girlfriend should be understanding and sensitive to the guy’s moods and feelings, then react and behave accordingly. The guy will only become more averse to the girl if she expects too much from him by being too whiny and clingy. Being in a relationship does not necessary mean you need to call each other a few times a day, or go out with each other everyday. The important thing is that both of you have faith in each other and willing to grow with and commit to each other.

I may analyse all these from a rational point of view probably because my own relationship status right now is still in limbo. Perhaps when I fall in love again I may be even more sensitive and irrational than before. :-D But after going through a few failed relationships, I hope I have finally learnt how to really handle a relationship and be a good companion to the guy. I only hope I remember my lessons and not to make the same type of mistakes again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...