Lilypie

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Family Complications

There is this complicated estate case I am currently handling which really gives an example of how people in the same family can fall out over asset dispute. Even my boss himself is stumped as it is the first time he has come across such a case. It is not a breach of confidence if I state out the case as no names will be mentioned and I have never mentioned which company I am working in.

The case facts are as follows : Guy A got registered with Lady A. They were married for a year, but separated later on and never divorced. There was a daughter from the marriage, Girl A. Guy A then found a girlfriend Lady B and cohabited with her for more than thirty years, to which he had three children, two daughters, Girl B and Girl C, and a son, Boy A. Lady B was originally married to another guy, Guy C, who was a foreigner. They have also separated but never divorced before she cohabited with Guy A. Girls B and C and Boy A bore their mother’s surname as they were not entitled to their father’s name, since their parents were not married.

Lady A died a few years back. Guy A refused to acknowledge Girl A as his legal daughter and took all the assets of Lady A, refusing to give Girl A her rightful share. When Guy A died this year, Girl A immediately applied as administratrix of his estate, being his legal child. She was granted the administration. Guy A did not leave a will, which means all his assets (a rather sizable number) would legally go to Girl A. However, his three illegitimate children and live-in partner protested and wanted to contest the verdict. Girl A refused to give any of them a single share on the basis that she is the official child, and the rest are not.

So the question is, how to distribute the assets rightfully? Should the legal child take everything? Do the other children have the right to contest the verdict? Would it be fair if the court just distributes the assets equally among all the children and the live-in partner? All these would have been easier if Guy A had drawn up a will, stating exactly how he would like his estate to be distributed. Unfortunately he died intestate and that resulted in all these complications. What people will do just to get some more money. *Sigh*

It is all in the same family after all, must they fight until this state? Money can really make enemies out of best friends and close friends. That is why I am never calculative, as I always think the issue of money is very sensitive, and it will destroy even the closest of friends. Luckily all my close friends are nice and not calculative as well. But on the other hand, I believe I have done them more than enough favours for them not to be calculative with me. :-D

There are a lot of complicating family situations around. The most classic one must be a particular family of this set of twins my former colleague was teaching. Apparently the father was a drunkard and wife-beater, the mother just submitted and bore with all the abuse. There was an eldest girl, the first set of twin girls, the second set of twin boys (which my friend was teaching), and the youngest set of twin boys. How in the world can the couple produce so many sets of twins?! The complication was that the father womanized around and had a mistress outside. That itself was no big deal, but what shocked us was that the mistress actually moved in with the family and became the sole breadwinner since both parents were not working. Not only that, she took over the disciplinary role while the mother spent the days moping around. When the twin boys got into trouble in school, my friend called the mother in, but the mistress came with a cane and disciplined the kids while the rest of us teachers were bemused over the whole thing. How can any woman stand it? Does the mistress really need to lower herself to this status?

I guess every family has its ups and downs. I am glad that my family is at least normal, besides the fact that my brothers are abnormal in their own way, and my parents can be very insensitive at times, other than that there are no major complications. Still, I love and respect my family because they are my own kin. When I have my own kids next time, I will also inculcate family values in them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...