Lilypie

Monday, August 22, 2005

Of Gut Feelings And Intuitions

I have friends who are born with sixth sense, or what others term as “psychics”. There are times when I admire their ability, because they only need to see something or someone and suddenly determine if anything good or bad will happen. Although sometimes I think it is not too good to know too much about the future. What if the future is nothing but bleakness or emptiness? How can people enjoy each day as it comes when they know there is nothing to look forward to?

I am never one who has that uncanny ability to “see” things. However, I do have what people term a “woman’s intuition”. I survive most of my adult life by relying on my gut feeling. But is a woman’s intuition really accurate? So far it had proven to be pretty accurate for me and some of my girlfriends.

My close friend from NIE once sensed that another girl was after her then-boyfriend. It turned out to be true, but he was faithful to her. They still broke up in the end due to other differences. My best friend sensed that one of her ex-boyfriends was two-timing her, and it also turned out to be true. He later married the other girl.

How did I know my own intuition was true? When I had a strong feeling that my second ex-boyfriend was fooling around behind my back. When I had a feeling my parents might divorce earlier this year due to a misunderstanding, but also had a feeling the storm would be weathered (although I wonder is that all the faith my mum has for my dad after almost thirty years of marriage?). When I had the feeling that the certain someone and I could never be more than friends. All turned out to be true!

But when will someone’s gut feeling borders on hyper sensitivity? How do you know you are being too sensitive? Is a girl being too sensitive when her new-found boyfriend suddenly disappears for a few days just after confirming their relationship, and attempts to contact him are futile, although he had told her to be understanding when he cannot answer the phone or reply to her messages because he can be very busy at times? Or is she justified for having a gut feeling that he is not sincere about her after all? Is she again being too sensitive when her boyfriend finally asked her out but never held her hand the entire day, and when she asked him about it he said he was still shy? Or is her gut feeling right again that he does not really love her at all? And is she also being too sensitive when every time they do go out he said he was broke and asked her to pay, or is her gut feeling right that he is only making use of her?

In these cases, how would anyone know if her gut feeling is accurate? She herself is not even sure whether she is just being too sensitive and blowing things out of proportion. For me, as long as I have a very strong feeling about something, that normally turns out to be true. Although I admit I am too much of a worry wart at times, I do have a pretty accurate sense whenever I sense something is up. If I am confused, then that normally means things are alright and I am just being too sensitive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cellphone Towers Sprouting Up In The Strangest Places
With the growth of cellphone usage comes an increasing amount of cellphone towers to supply the connectibility and reception of calls.
Who would've thought?

Ole' Wolvie said...

Sometimes its not even gut feeling. People can call me cynical, but many times, the clues are plain out in the open, just that a lot of people refuse to see it.

(And of course some clues are not readable without enough life experience.)

shakespeareheroine said...

Maybe you are right. Or perhaps sometimes people just hit the jackpot.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...