Lilypie

Thursday, August 4, 2005

Another Day Of Feasting

I received an e-mail today stating that I did not manage to get the IndoChine job. :-( I am hoping that something will come along real soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for some news this week.

Ever since Sunday, I have been eating non-stop. First the Tembuah Mas dinner, then the seafood dinner on Monday, McDonald's supper on Tuesday night after my opera practice, then a Vietnamese feast earlier on (actually two feasts in fact).

I met up with a good friend who is a financial planner in the afternoon for help in investing my CPF funds. For the past few years, I had been reluctant to touch my CPF funds as I was planning to buy a flat when I get married. But now that I am not likely to be married for quite some time and since my CPF funds are just sitting around doing nothing, I finally decided to invest the money and generate a higher return, which will enable me more cashback in the long run.

We went to this Vietnamese eatery called "Va Va Voom" opposite Bugis Junction. I had Fried Chicken Chop with rice and Ice Lemongrass Honey. Delicious! The drink was really soothing, especially to the throat, and the slight lemongrass taste made the honey taste even better than normal. After lunch, we set off to DBS Bank at Royal Brothers Building to open a CPF Investment account. Since we still had time to kill before meeting another friend for dinner, we decided to adjourn to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Republic Plaza where I had my usual order - Pure Chocolate Ice Blended with lots and lots of whipped cream!

We met our friend back in Bugis at 6:00 pm. It was then that I realise there is another DBS nearby - Raffles City, just further down from Bugis Junction. We did not even need to take the train down two stops to Raffles Place! Arrrggghhh! Should have thought of that before we went down. Anyway, all of us could not come to any consensus regarding the dinner venue, so we went back to "Va Va Voom" again as my friend wanted to eat the Morning Glory Salad. This time, I ate the Lemongrass Pork Chop with rice. We shared the Morning Glory Salad among us, but later on I found out that it was actually kang kong without the leaves. Really super! I will highly recommend this place anytime for authentic and truly delicious Vietnamese cuisine!

When all three of us have eaten our fills, we went to Billy Bombers for Chocolate Malt and had another delicious chocolatey and enriching chatting session. I am so full right now! I really fear for myself - at this rate, I will probably put on 10kg by the end of the week.

5 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Kind of a coincidence. I also have just recently entrusted an old friend who now works as an independent financial consultant to invest my CPF. (I'd never thought he's the type to go into this line of work, but well he's a real smart guy so I have my base covered)

Anyway, I have always viewed my CPF money as 'gone' as it is not liquid at all. I am a thrifty person, and if there's no CPF, that would just mean that I have more money to invest for better returns.

Sorry that you did not clinch the job though.

shakespeareheroine said...

It's ok, I just got another job offer, so no big loss to me. Actually I hate the idea of CPF since it gives me lesser take-home pay. But after thinking about long-term benefits, probably CPF is a good idea after all since without CPF, I'll probably have no savings left to buy a place or spend on education next time.

Ole' Wolvie said...

I would agree that it is a good idea for people who tend to spend. It is after all a 'forced savings scheme'. I guess I should try and find out other ways the CPF money can be used.

Spending can't be helped sometimes. My minimum monthly spending (if I do not go out anywhere and start eating more instant noodles) is already $1000, where $600 goes to paying rent and utilities.

shakespeareheroine said...

I still stay with my parents so I guess in a way it is lucky because my expenses can be lower. However when I move out and stay on my own, I guess my expenses will be higher as well since I have to pay rent and utilities. I used to be a spendthrift but now I have cut down a lot. I have reached the stage where I finally realise it is not so necessary to buy things on a whim all the time.

doc said...

Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...