Lilypie

Saturday, August 6, 2005

Insomniacs, Anonymous?

I cannot get to sleep. Not sure of the reason why. Maybe it can be due to sleeping late (as in about 3:00 am) nowadays, so my body clock has seemed to be tuned to that timing. Anytime earlier, I just cannot get to sleep. I thought I have stopped being nocturnal ever since I left teaching, but apparently this owlish behaviour still seems to take control of me. I started taking out a puzzle book to try solving some cryptograms, but suddenly I got the inspiration for this post, thus here I am.

So all my foreign friends are back to their hometowns for the weekend. Indonesians back in Indonesia, Malaysians back in Malaysia, and Singaporeans? Still stuck in Singapore. Earlier on I was struck by the amazing coincidence that all my foreign friends are going home at the same time, either yesterday or today. But come to think of it, this timing makes sense actually considering we have some sort of a long weekend coming up, with the eve of National Day on Monday and National Day on Tuesday.

I went down to sign my formal employment letter today. This time round, I made sure I read every clause twice to ensure that I do not get cheated again. But then the firm is in the legal business, they will only be shooting themselves in the foot if they cheat me. Instead of starting on the 15th, I was requested to start on the 12th so that the lady leaving could brief and handover everything to me properly. Which means I would be starting work earlier. Does not really matter to me actually, starting work earlier can only mean being paid for extra days.

There is a question that has been plaguing me lately : Have I really gotten over someone? Just like how sure I was when I knew he was the one I wanted to be with, now I am sure there is absolutely no hope for us so I believe I have finally gotten over him. How would I know? I do not think of him anymore, it does not even bother me whether he is online or not, and I do not look forward to his messages whatsoever anymore. As far as I am concerned, right now he is just a good friend as he has always been. I am carrying on my life happily, moving on to other pursuits (not that I have any at the moment). But I am glad this chapter in my life has closed as I felt more enriched going through it. Every stage in life is a valuable lesson, no matter how little or short-term it is. And it is a good thing because my heart is finally free to love and accept another person's love, although perhaps the right one still has not come along yet. It is good to finally get rid of some emotions which I have been harbouring. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!

Seems like my neighbours are in the middle of a barbecue (at this time?!). At least I smell something nice cooking. Or perhaps it is meant for the "ghosts", being the first day of the "ghost" month. Nothing more than a Chinese superstition actually, although I know of people who can actually see things which are "unclean", being blessed with what others call the "third eye". Honestly, I will rather not have this gift, because I think it will be too disturbing for me!

5 more to bi-centennial post ..... counting down!

2 comments:

asen said...

well.. not many of us go back to indonesia though.. :). I'm still here (coz I'll be going back on september for my brother's wedding) :)

shakespeareheroine said...

So you're one of the few ones that is still around. Well, you're going back for a more major event soon anyway, must be looking forward to it?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...