Lilypie

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Elections ... No More

The elections will be later on in the day. Well I will not say it is an election since there are no contenders in the first place, just simply a walk-through. So President Nathan is set to serve another term as President.

So far we only have six Presidents in the 40 years the country has been established. The first four Presidents were elected by the Cabinet, it was only from the late former President Ong Teng Cheong (President Nathan's predecessor) that it became a public election.

I used to follow my parents whenever they were required to go for voting. I could not wait until I was 21 years old to start voting. However now that I am way above 21, there was no public elections at all, only walk-overs, thus I never had a chance to vote. Perhaps next time, in another few more years when the Cabinet undergoes reshuffling again. Hopefully this time my constituency will have one or two contenders to spice things up.

4 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Singapore has more Presidents than it has PM's. (Now even have an SPM).

Well, Indonesia had one President for a looong time, until things happened. Still equal score though, I can only remember the 6 most recent Presidents.

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, we have more Presidents as our Presidents mostly serve just a term of 6 years or so, whereas we had a Prime Minister that served a term of almost 40 years, and another one that served a term of more than 10 years. I wonder how long this current PM will last.

asen said...

i think i still know the order of Indonesia's President:
1. Soekarno
2. Soeharto
3. Habibie
4. Gus Dur
5. Megawati
6. Yudhoyono (SBY)

Do i get all correctly? ;)

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, very good, all in order, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...