Lilypie

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

You've Got M@il!

I do not know how many of you remember the movie starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan but it is one of my favourite shows. Anyway I will watch any show with Tom Hanks in it. I started thinking of this show as in recent years, more and more people I know met their partners through the Internet.

My cousin met her husband through an online chatting program. But her case was a bit different, as they were already acquainted through a social dance class, but got to really know each other only through online chatting. I met my third ex online too - we were actually "introduced" by his best friend but he was coaxed by his best friend to send me a message, and the rest, as they say, is history. Another friend met a Hong Kong girl online too, and they recently registered their marriage, with the ceremony to be held in Hong Kong next year.

But is meeting people online really safe? There have been lots of horror stories on how people are not what they seem online. The advantage of all these anonymity means people can just give a fake identity and false information. Which means people can lie to you without you knowing. I must say I have been very lucky so far that all the people I have met online (at least those that have become my good friends) are all harmless and nice. Once I sense someone is undesirable or with some other ulterior motive, I will stop all contact.

Being in an era of advanced Information Technology like now means there are more avenues and channels for making friends. So even if a few hit the jackpot and manage to find the right one through the Net, it is not much of a surprise as well. The internet has now become the cyber matmaker to a lot of people. Besides instant messaging programs, a lot of websites nowadays also have personals and matches links which people can upload their particulars and exchange emails so as to get to know others. In fact, I started to like that particular someone only after getting to know him much better online, even though we already know each other.

So perhaps I may still have the chance to hear the three words "You've Got Mail!", knowing that someone somewhere looks forward to my messages as much as I look forward to his messages! Provided I am able to find my soulmate in the first place.

2 comments:

James Franklin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Franklin said...

Singaporean people often need maids to do their household works.But finding a suitable and trust-worthy maids is not easy. That's why the maid agencies are here. If you need a maid, you can hire one from Universal Employment Agency.Maid Agency

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...