Lilypie

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Old Habits Die Hard

I seem to be a very habitual person. Once I get into the habit or routine of something, it is hard to get out of the rut. My latest habit is to stay up late. Just few months back, I used to sleep earlier, before midnight. But that period of time when I was trying to get someone's attention, I started staying up late as he tend to stay up until very late (or very early?), so I would chat with him throughout until he finally decided to sleep. And since I started staying up more often, it is hard for me to sleep early now. But just as well since a lot of my friends stay up late too, and since we are all so busy with our own schedules and hard to find time to meet, online chatting is the only way to keep in touch and catch up with each other. It is much better than the phone as you can talk to many others simultaneously. Ah, the advantageous of modern advanced technology and instant messaging.

Another habit I like to break is to stop doing so much for others. This by itself is not a bad thing but I tend to go out of my way to help others, often facing disappointment and disillusionment as a result. The phrase "fair-weather friends" comes to mind. It is hard for me not to help others as my joy in life is derived from others' happiness especially since they are happy over something I have done for them. However I always tend to do so much to the extent of losing myself. How I wish I can just sometimes be a bit more heartless and expect others to help me out for once, then perhaps people will not always take me to be some sort of easy pushover.

Just like recently I loaned a few hundred bucks to a friend only for him to ask for a few more hundred. He never replied me after I told him I could not afford anymore as I just paid my bills. Further attemtps to contact him proved futile. I do not mind the money but I do not appreciate it if people take favours from me only to disappear. I do not like to be taken for a fool! I also have friends borrowing money from me to pay off their gold credit card bills. If they can afford a gold credit card, I do not see why they need to borrow from me in the first place since I am not even earning enough to own a single gold credit card! Do people think I am that filthy rich? Then who is to help me out when I run into trouble?

That is why my three most intimate friends are the ones who have been with me through thick and thin, ups and downs and supported me throughout my darkest moments. One is my best friend whom I got to know when we were registering for the same school after our 'O' Levels, the second is my godbrother, and the third is the brother of my primary school senior. I have a few other close friends as well, but these three are the ones who have been with me throughout a big significant part of my life and we have been through so much together that they are the ones I will trust with my life.

Meanwhile I need to confirm the caterers for a retro-themed party my friend and I are organising in September, see if I can get any drinks for the performers tonight (we are only given mineral water, not even food! So pathetic.), and ask that girlfriend of mine if her relationship issue is settled, despite the fact that I still do not feel that well myself. As I said, old habits die hard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...