Lilypie

Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Want The Chocolate River ....

Finally I went to watch "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with a good friend and my first brother earlier on. YEAH! I have waited almost a year to watch the show! Roald Dahl was a genius but Johnny Depp is a real Master! He really brought out Willy Wonka's character traits - his eccentricity, passion for his work and love for chocolate and candy. Honestly, which better actor can portray Willy Wonka than Depp himself? No wonder he is one of Hollywood's A-listers, and one of those few who CAN act.

The show essentially follows the book closely, even the corny jokes that are so prevalent in Dahl's books. All the descriptions are the same, from the Chocolate River (I WANT! I WANT!! I WANT!!!) to the candy grass to the pink peppermint boat to the Oompa Loompas to the Oompa Loompa songs to the big melted palace (a great torture to see all the delicious chocolate go to waste) even to the famous Great Glass Elevator. I got sooooooooo huungry for chocolate just by watching the show!

The twist at the end was unexpected but heartwarming. Typical of Tim Burton, to bring up family issues in most of his shows. Even if you are not a Roald Dahl fan and do not know any of his books, this is still an entertaining show to watch by itself. If you are a Roald Dahl fan (like me) and love the book, you will love the movie even more, especially the ending. In my opinion, I think the movie ending is a better one than the book. This is one of those book-to-screen movies that is really one notch above the book.

What did I do after the show? We went to Swiss Culture and had a meal of chocolate fondue! How can I watch a chocolatey show without having chocolate later on? But my craving was still not satisfied, so I went to Carrefour and bought even more chocolate - a box of white Kit Kats, a box of red Kit Kats, a packet of Cadbury Dreams, a whole bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk and Top Deck. Enough to keep me in heavenly bliss until the end of the week at least!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...