Lilypie

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Farewell To My Vocal Coach

My voice teacher is leaving. Today was my last lesson with her. No doubt my throat is still not completely recovered, thus I was not able to reach the higher notes, but I would not miss out on my last lesson with her. In fact, she was the one that helped make my range wider. In the past, I could only reach up to a G. It was my artistic director that made me go up to a high 'C'. But my voice teacher (Joanna) helped me reach all the way up to the highest 'F', the maximum range for a soprano.

I never know I am actually able to reach this high before this! Incidentally, Joanna herself is also a member of the Lyric Opera and is taking lessons from our artistic director. Now that she is leaving to US on a scholarship to study her Masters in Voice Performance and Pedagogy, my artistic director agreed to take me under her wing, but it is rather scary and stressful to be under her.

After I started voice lessons, I recommended another female friend (also from the Lyric Opera) to learn under Joanna. So tonight, after my lesson, both of us bought Joanna dinner and had a last gathering with her before she leaves. We went to Centrepoint "Food Street" and had dinner at "Prima Taste", a cosy coffeshop-like restaurant that sells fantastic local food, like laksa, chicken rice, bak kut teh (pork ribs soup with herbs) and spring rolls. We had a fantastic dinner and chatting session.

Goodbye Joanna! Thanks for all your guidance. I will remember all the techniques you taught me so as to project my voice better while singing. Best of luck for your studies and hope to see you again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...