Lilypie

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Poetic License

A stranger you were once.
Then with a gentle look
You took my hand.
As our lives engaged,
You lit my life.
Love is a decision,
Not an emotion or feeling,
That if made from the heart
Will outlast anything.

Nice poem right? No, it is not by me. I got this from one of my online friends which I find very meaningful. Ironically, despite all the English Literature I have done, I still cannot write good poetry. :-( The above poem reminds me of Shakespeare's most famous sonnet - Sonnet No. 18.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling bud of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And ever fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

Beautiful right? The best forms of poetry (especially love poems) I love are still Shakespearean quotations. Just like my favourite verses from some of my favourite plays below.

Romeo and Juliet

Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs;
Being purg'd, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;
Being vex'd, a sea nourish'd with lovers' tears;
What is it else? A madness most discreet,
A choking gall, and a preserving sweet.

And the famous line : My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep: the more it give to thee The more I have, for both are infinite.

The Two Gentlemen of Verona

To be in love, where scorn is bought with groans;
Coy looks with heart-sore sighs; one fading moments mirth
With twenty watchful, weary, tedious nights:
If haply won, perhaps a hapless gain;
If lost, why then a grievous labour won;
However, but a folly bought with wit,
Or else a wit by folly vanquished.


Twelth Night

If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! It had a dying fall;
O, it came o'er my ear like a sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour.


Maybe I shall try composing a haiku on the same theme :

What is about love
That cause all to live and die
In eternity.

Ok, I already said I cannot write any form of good poetry. I can analyse and argue about poems, but yet I suck at writing poems. That is why I always admire my friends who can write such beautiful poems so effortlessly. So for those of you who wants an explanation of what the above poems mean, feel free to let me know and I will give you the gist of all.

So good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good night till it be morrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

That's a nice haiku. But I've felt the urge to rebut it.

Love...to live and die
in such timeless existence?
Madness, I will say.

Love...an illusion.
Oft suffered by two persons
What a bliss it is!

shakespeareheroine said...

Hey, very good! See, I already said I can't do good poetry. :-p

Anonymous_X said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous_X said...

Poetry is about verbally expressing one's thought and feeling. Whether it is good or not is subjective.

What I insolently refuted was just the content of your haiku. Please clarify. Surely it won't be hard to analyze your own poem, will it? ;)

shakespeareheroine said...

As you said, whether the poetry is good or not is subjective. Haiku is a simple form of poetry, and you have helped me improve on it. So thank you as your haikus are better than the one I came up with. :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...