Lilypie

Monday, July 11, 2005

Thank Goodness For Counsellors!

I met up with my counsellor today. In case any of you think I have a serious psychotic problem, let me clarify that I went there today solely to complete a career analysis assessment so I could know which job I should be aiming for. And since I was there, I might as well catch up with her and told her the things that have been on my mind these few weeks.

I first started seeing a counsellor ever since the end of my first relationship. At that point in time, my studies suffered and I was on the verge of failing out of school. My grades were dropping so drastically that my school's counsellor decided to send me for professional help. That was where the counselling centre came in. Since then, I have not been going there regularly. Once in a while during university and when I started working, I would still pop by whenever I felt stressed and needed to let out my frustrations. Ironically, I had to take a semester of Counselling Skills module in university. I have not been there for about two years now until today as I needed to find out which job I am most suited for.

Talking things out with others really help a lot. She let me see things from a neutral point of view, and enabled me to see the big picture instead of from a biased point of view. Guess what? I am still most suited to an industry where I can get lots of job satisfaction, and know that the work I did enabled others to be happy and helped them in certain ways. So the best jobs for me are teaching, counselling, humanitarian (??), anything that involved helping others and the community. Hmmmm. Rather true actually, as I like to help people. As long as they are happy I am happy too. No mention of office type of work. Maybe I should volunteer myself to the Peace Corps then, if I am allowed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...