Lilypie

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Always The Interviewee, Never The Employee

I went for a record-breaking six interviews today. I shuttled from recruitment agencies to corporate firms to accounting firms to banks to law firms. I foresee another four more tomorrow. It is getting to be so tiring. I do not mind going for job interviews provided I can secure a job, but right now, I am going for so many interviews with no news. :-(

I had some time in between the interviews today, so I did a bit of shopping. I initially wanted to replace my face mask, but I went crazy and bought the new Sally Hansen's "Advanced Formula" nail polish and the new Maybelline and Loreal's lip glosses. Gosh, it has been half a year since I bought any new cosmetics. One tip for myself : never ever find a job around a retail building, I will shop everyday and become broke by the middle of the month.

It had been a relatively unlucky day for me. When my first interview at 9:30 am was cancelled, I was relieved as I thought I could sleep a little more as my next interview was at 11:00 am. When I was about to leave my house at 10:00 am, another prospective employee called and asked me various questions. As a result, I left my house late and had to take a cab to Outram Park.

Luckily I was not late. After that, I realised that because I changed my handbag, I left my ezlink card in my other bag. I had not withdrawn any cash so I could not buy a single trip ticket, and the Passenger Service Centre that sells spare ezlink cards was not able to accept card payment. I was literally stranded at the train station. But since I had time to kill, I decided to walk from Chinatown all the way to International Plaza at Tanjong Pagar.

When I reached International Plaza, torrents of rain came down. At first I thought I was lucky the rain started pouring after I reached, but when I realised my next interview was at DBS Tower across the street without a shelter, I panicked. So in the end I braved the rain and went for the interview. Needless to say, I was totally drenched and soaked. The worst thing was my phone's battery went flat in the middle of the day and all my interviews' venues were recorded inside. I had to try to remember as much as possible. I am really a slave to my mobile phone! I do not seem to know how to function without it!

By the time everything was done, I was so tired, hungry, wet and cold that I even cancelled opera practice tonight and came straight home to take a long hot shower. Besides I could feel sniffles coming. I cannot afford to get sick now, not with more interviews this week and the Sacred Music Festival performance this weekend. My artistic director is going to give me such a scolding, but I better preserve my health and voice so as to perform well at the Sacred Music Festival on Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must feel tough, but you know you will succeed. Surely! You have a good heart and are hard working, its just a matter of time. Always continue to believe in yourself, continue to be good, and keep trying.

And of roucse, keep writing. You never know how you can be an inspiration to someone on the other side of the world.

With best wishes,
Anonymous.

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks for your encouragement! However please do leave a name next time so I can at least match your comments to a name and can address you appropriately.

Hope you continue supporting me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...