Lilypie

Friday, July 8, 2005

Jobless Again ....

That's it! I have finally done it! I tendered my resignation yesterday. In fact, I have already tried sending out a few resumes on Wednesday night. My parents will flip their wigs if they find out I left my job again, as this was the second company I am working for in a year. I know it is not good to do this, otherwise I will be labelled as a job-hopper, so hopefully I can find a good job in a good firm with a good culture where I can stick with for quite some time.

My official last day is on the 17th July, but since I still have leave to clear, I was able to go off by yesterday and need not go back anymore. Which means I can finally have my long-awaited sabbatical. YEAH! Can sleep in everyday at last! Hopefully I can find something to do fast so I can start working again in August. Much as I want to, I cannot afford to take too long a break as I do not want to rust at home. Besides I need to pay my course fees for next year soon. I have already sent out 20 resumes so far.

I left the previous job before this as I could not take all the late nights anymore. I was working in one of the premier and biggest firms, so I had to assist a team of 5 lawyers. And each had an average of 7 major cases simultaneously, which means heck-of-a-lot of work everyday. We could have teleconferences until late in the night. Each case can drag on for months. For almost two months, I stayed until past midnight everyday, sometimes even till 4 a.m., and had to be in by 8 a.m. to review documentation so as to make it on time for a 9 a.m. meeting. In the end I just surrendered. No job is worth it no matter how much they pay me (not that they were paying me a lot in the first place as I was not able to claim for overtime) if I have to sacrifice time for myself, my family, my loved ones and all the activities I enjoy.

Actually my dream is to work in a US MNC or huge conglomerate like Hudson Global Resources or Watson Wyatt, big firms with a very good corporate culture. I always feel foreign firms have a much better culture than local firms. Unfortunately, these established firms only hire top graduates from top universities, so no hope for me there. Although I almost ended up as the in-house Legal Assistant at MTV Asia.

I was so excited when MTV Asia called me up for an interview last year. After a series of interviews, I thought the job was as good as mine, but in the end I was not selected. What a pity, as I would have loved to work there. Free access to all MTV Asia events and functions, great discounts to all the great clubs, get to listen to all the newest music firsthand .... dream job for a lot of people.

Meanwhile, I still have to go through the process of updating my resume, drafting good cover letters, checking Career Ads, surfing job websites, and sending some more out, hoping to get good news soon. But before that I want to savour this long-awaited break!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...