Lilypie

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Can You Remain Friends With Your Ex?

My youngest brother saw me chatting with my most recent ex-boyfriend online and asked me how come we are still friends? I answered, "Why not?" Just because two people are not suited to be together does not mean they cannot still be friends. So he asked whether I will feel awkward. Initially when the relationship ended, I did not want to have anything more to do with him as I was really unhappy then. But after a while, things went back to normal, and we are still on speaking terms. In fact, now I treat him as one of my closest friends. He knows about the Mystery Guy of late too, and have been encouraging me along.

Actually some of my friends have been discussing this issue : Can anyone still remain on good terms with his / her ex? In my opinion, why not? End of a relationship does not equate end of a friendship. Strangely though, I am still close friends only with my most recent ex. I have not spoken to my previous two boyfriends ever since our relationships ended, until recently. Perhaps it was because we did not end on good terms, thus I was too emotionally scarred to want anything else to do with them ever.

Even my best friend who has gone through four relationships once told me she would never want to meet any of her ex-boyfriends outside, with the exception of the second one, as they are still on good terms. Incidentally he is getting married and invited both of us to his wedding. A rather sweet guy actually, thus I was really angry with her when she broke up with him for another guy who took her for granted. But love is blind sometimes.

I believe if both parties are mature enough, they can still remain friends even after the end of a relationship. In fact, recently, I called my second ex-boyfriend, just to catch up with him. He was rather surprised to hear from me actually. I took so long to get over him, yet he was the one who felt awkward talking to me.

A sign that I am finally over him - I can talk to him amicably like a normal person. I do not need to avoid him anymore. In fact I changed my number then as I did not want to hear from him ever again. Talking to him does not trigger anymore emotional upheavels and I do not even think of him anymore. It is true that time heals all wounds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...