Lilypie

Wednesday, July 6, 2005

What Sort Of Company Am I Working For?!

I am seriously contemplating leaving my company. I finally got my leave approved, so I took a day off yesterday. Which gave me the time to do a lot of things I have been putting off, ie buying ingredients for the Hawaiian-themed pot luck party this Saturday (another Lyric Opera gathering), visiting a close friend who hurt his back a few days ago, apologising to my friend's parents (alas never got down to it as his parents were not able to meet us on time as I had to go for my opera practice), and running through "Street Scene" before the practice.

When I went back to the office today, I was totally horrified by what I saw. The files on my desk are completely gone, my drawers have been cleaned out, my stationery was in a mess, and the entire clients' list is gone. My printing paper is missing, all the rough papers are gone, and whatever that is left are just some trash papers and a few sparse stationery here and there. WHAT THE?! I can accept the files thing as my boss wanted to review them, but I go ballistic when other people go through my drawers. Even at home, I never allowed even my parents to touch my drawers. Only my boyfriends are allowed the priviledge. Not that I have anything to hide, but what gives others the right to go through my things just because I was away?! I do not do that to anybody even when they are not around! Is there any respect for privacy here?! First my internet was shut down, so now whenever there is any legal research to be done, I have to compete with the rest to use the common computer, and now this?!

Not only that, I just found out that the CD/DVD drive on my computer had been removed. I used to play songs from Perfect 10 or Class 95 while working. Now that I cannot use the internet anymore, I thought of bringing some CD compilations to listen to as I work better with some soft music in the background. And now that is not even possible. Hey, I need music when I work, otherwise I cannot fully concentrate or focus. Even when I was younger, I needed music to study so as to absorb better. Another strong reason why I should get a MP3 player soon. What sort of company is this?! Do they even respect the staff's privacy?! I can accept the internet being shut down, or the disc drive being taken away, but I really cannot accept it if my drawers were ransacked and cleaned out.

Besides, I am getting rather sick of corporate work. I like to explore other areas of law as well, like the ones I have always liked - Intellectual Property, Litigation, Family. I would also branch into other lines like journalism or music. I am tired of unreasonable clients hounding us day and night even when we are on leave. And with my boss being so autocratic, it is hard to get things done smoothly. Everything has to be done her way and has to be checked by her, even minor documents, before they can be despatched. There are so many channels to go through. Part of my job is to track deadlines, so I have to call clients to remind them so the deadlines can be met. But now I cannot even call clients to remind them about the deadline without going through my boss first. I feel that if we have to go through so many channels, then all the important documents and deadlines would have come and gone before anything could be done.

I know I have probably used the most number of interrobags ever in this post, but I really do not feel comfortable working in a company where the staff has no leeway for privacy. So any of you know of any openings out there for an arts graduate Legal Executive ex-teacher? Preferably one that pays at least $3,000 per month. Just kidding. Seriously, the amount of money is immaterial as long as it is a job I like and the firm has a good culture - one that respects the privacy of its staff and leaves the staff alone to do the job well. Firms like those big MNCs or conglomerates - the culture of a big American firm is really different than that of a small local firm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...