Lilypie

Sunday, July 3, 2005

God's Will Or My Will?

(NB. Context is rather religious in nature. May contain religious ramblings. Non-church-goers may not fully comprehend.)

I just attended a very inspiring sermon today. Initially I did not want to go to church today due to my throat infection. How am I going to sing in this state? When I woke up this morning, my voice was almost back to normal, I told myself I could not let my friend down, especially since I have already promised him and he is sponsoring my bible studies every week. Besides there was just this urge in me that I had to go. And I am glad I went in the end. Seems like God really reaches out to me in unexpected ways.

The sermon was by Rev Phil Heng, a guest priest from Novena Church (aka Catholic Church of St. Alphonsus). He was the most charismatic priest I have ever known! His sermon was on doing God's will and putting God first in your life. Someone asked a question : how do you know it is God's will? His answer : By doing the right thing. God's will is to let go of the past hurts and forgive those who have hurt you. God's will is to love unconditionally. God knows best what is for us as he created all of us. We have to place ourselves in God's care and He will take care of us as he knows best what we need. So sometimes what we want may not be what we really need. Thus, we need to trust God to give us what is best for us.

Alright, I know I am getting to be such a preacher. But I could not help feeling that the sermon was specially for me. This sermon relates so well to what I am facing in life right now. Which got me to finally understand : I may want a lot of things in life, but it may not necessary be what is best for me. For the past few weeks, I have been praying for some answers to where my life is heading. Today's sermon seems to be the answer to my prayers. Thus, I shall stop praying for things which I want, but should focus more on praying for what God wants for me. So even if I cannot have what I really desire, ie a promotion, pay raise, and Mr Too-Good-To-Be-True-But-Definitely-My-Type, I shall stop fretting and instead adopt a positive outlook that whatever will be, will be. If it is not what God wants for me, I am sure He will find something and someone better and more suitable for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...